PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea for Emetophobia desensitization!

Haruka
14-08-10, 22:01
Okay, so to start, my best friend is the reason I don't ride the bus. Every morning she throws up on the bus from motion sickness. Well, I was thinking that maybe I could start riding the bus, and sit far from her, and when I start to feel more comfortable when I am sitting far from her, I can move a little closer, and do so through out the school year, until I can eventually sit next to her when she gets sick, and not panic. Does this sound like a good idea? Or no?

Vixxy
15-08-10, 14:04
Sounds to me like she may need medication lol.
If you want to do this then I would start further back. Ask her to explain in detail how she felt on the bus and what happened. Then when youre ok just listening to it, then try getting on the bus with her.
Small steps :)

Martin Burridge
15-08-10, 21:07
Yes gradual exposure is a good way of densisitising yourself. Many therapists use this technique. The fear in Phobias usually builds gradually and so gradual exposure is the best way to overcome the fear. Its not easy though which is why desensitisation is normally accompanied by other therapeutic techniques such as relaxation or in vitro exposure (visualising facing your fear while you are relaxed in the therapy room).

If you feel confident enough to try it go ahead. Take baby steps to start. If you reach a position where its too much, retreat slightly but make sure you go back to that position and try again the next day.

Slowly and surely you will get there and your confidence will grow and the panic lessen.

Good luck.

ajones473@yahoo.com
31-10-12, 12:16
UGH! that`s gross! why can`t your friend take travel sickness meds or stay off buses!