PDA

View Full Version : Panic

angels22165
15-08-10, 20:46
Hello, Just wondering if anyone can help or share if they have been through same. Have been on 20mg Citalopram since December was previously on Effexor. Six week ago cut back to 10mg then got myself to 5mg daily, but since last weekend felt soo anxious and having panic attacks again daily, went to see my GP last week and he said Im suffering bad withdrawel symptoms and also anxiety relating to this and told me to go back on 10mg daily again then in a week which is tomorrow if still feeling same to go back on 20mg, but I think Ive done six weeks of cutting back and it has been hard suffering with the withdrawel but to go back on 20mg I just don't know what to do, I know I will probably not feel as anxious on the 20mg but still get days when I do and alot of heavy heads, Im waiting to have 1 on 1 CBT and the GP says to wait until I start this then try withdrawel again when I am in better control of the symptoms. I like being alert again when I was on 5mg but the anxiety was unbearable - just not sure what to do? thanks to anyone who replies :)

KK77
15-08-10, 21:04
Hello Angels

It can be very hard coming off meds so the first thing to do is to give yourself a break here: it's not your fault you're having so much trouble - some people just get unlucky. It's perhaps not the right time to reduce or stop yet but with patience and some hard work you can reach that stage where you can. I think your doctor's advice is correct and I would go with it for the time being.

I've been on a similar med to citalopram for nearly a year. Far from a cure, but it helps manage my moods. I don't think about stopping either. When I'm ready I'll know and if I'm never ready then so be it. I'm past worrying about that when there's so much to get on with in life.

CBT is a step in the right direction and I hope it sets you on the path to a full recovery without the aid of meds.