PDA

View Full Version : This is Me!

Anita
27-02-04, 00:58
Hello All
My name is Anita and I have only justfound this site this evening and have spent ages reading many of the posts on this site tonight. I am 36 married with 2 daughter and live in Dorset. I really wanted to introduce myself to you and tell you a little of why I am here! I am currently coming up to 2 years of my latest bout of agoraphobia, panic and general anxiety, my first episode was way back in 1991 thru to 1994 , when I had my daughter - I then talked myself out of panic and being scared of going outseide and gradually normalised myself into have a very normal life, travelling round the country on my own included, my feelings of panic in that 3 year episode certainly dont seem to have been as severe as things are at the moment.
I dont seem to be really depressed, although I do feel down a lot but I guess thats part of the anxiety, and unlike many of you I dont experience palpitations and dont worry about having a heart attack. My main problem is the fear of fainting and any time ( a lot of the time) I feel lightheaded that obviously increases my awareness and my anxiety levels. I have 'funny faints' experienced on one occassion in an A & E department , which panicked the nurses but when the doctor came he assured me and everyone that I have a tyoe of fit when I faint with no major side effects, just tiredness etc afterwards. I must add that I havent actually ever fainted through a panic attack but only through blood related situations which are the main trigger - obviously avoiding any 'blood' situations is possible to a certain extent, even if it means leaving a nice little part time job at a local school, but fear of fainting is a major problem to me, especially lately when I feel so wobbly, at home and away from home, some days I just feel my legs arent going to hold me anymore and I feel I cant walk from the kitchen to the lounge, but yes of course I can make it - its just my brain fooling me into thinking I cant. When faced with my 'challenging' situations, tackling the local shops (cant face big supermarkets very well and certainly not alone - only been in a Tescos twice in 2 years...!), places where other people will be (social phobia seems to be a big problem) I experience the usual panic symptoms - dry mouth, shaking, dizziness, etc etc but also I tense my feet so badly that it has caused some muscle trouble and I cant stand properly for very long - obviously the tense feet aggravates the dizzy head and so it all goes round in a circle - I avoid standing for any length of time around people as I fear making a fool of myself - fainting or 'going mad'...I DO know that all these feelings are jist created in my head and I am really hoping sharing my feelings with you fellow sufferers that it will help me somehow deal with this. I just want to have a bit more confidence, to be able to look forward to going out of the front door, to be able to drive further than about 2 miles on my own, to be able to the bank to pay cheques in! And that big thing - to face the shops again - along with their 'lovely ' bright lights -YUK! I guess 2 big factors affecting me are very low self esteem about my weight - am very overweight - (keep thinking that I am putting my husband off me...but he assures me not!) and lack of sleep..never in bed before about 2am earliest and have to be up at 7 ish - this I guess is not enough sleep and has been going on for years and years. Its not that I cant sleep I cant make myself go to bed....! I also continually have negative self talk going on in my head, I wish, like many of you no doubt, that I could wake up one day and all those voices and talk would shut up and give me a clear head to think forwards with.
My doctor knows little about the extent of my problem, one doctor I saw, suggested counselling, and the few people who know about my 'feelings' feel I need some extra help - but I really want to give it a go dealing with it myself - I am hoping I can report to you all I am getting on well.
Thank you for listening to my feelings, I know you all understand - I never shared anythin

kate
27-02-04, 08:28
Hiya Anita,

Glad to see that you have found us!!!:D

Everyone here suffers to one degree or another, so we all totally understand what you are going through.

Have a good look round at all the postings and you will soon feel totally at home here!

Anyway, welcome to the site and hope to read further postings from you in the future

Kate x

bluebird1
27-02-04, 12:44
hi anita,
glad you found us, this site is very friendly and once you've chatted to us a few times in the chatroom you will feel at home.
we are all like a big family really and we all have very, very similar problems so you can relax.
look foward to chatting to you.
bluebird 1 (lyn):)

Samantha
27-02-04, 16:33
Hi Anita wlecome to the site, theres loads of useful and very informative information on here, hope to see you in the chat room sometime and look forward to reading your posts!

Look forward to speaking to you

Sam

Positive thinking is the key to success!

sarah
27-02-04, 16:53
Hi Anita

Welcome to the site.
There is loads of great info both in this forum and on the home page.
Have a good look round and feel free to post and ask any questions

You say you have conquered this once before, well im sure you will gain the courage to do it again!!!

Hopefully look foreward to talking to you in the chatroom.
love Sarah
xx

Meg
27-02-04, 18:40
Dear Anita,

Thank for sharing ..

You've done it before - you can do it again.

You can mostly avoid blood forever or you could try to get over it and thus the fainting too. I knew a plebotomy department in a hospital that helped people overcome blood phobias once.

You know what needs to be done but it's taking those steps which can be so hard - yet so forfilling...

Do have a good hunt around this message board and the home pages and keep in touch with you plans and sucesses.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stephen
27-02-04, 20:23
Hi, Anita welcome to NMP.On this site you,ll find the most friendly,helpful and understanding people ever! Like ,kate says we all suffer in some way so we all understand and like blu(lyn) says we are all one family. We all try to encourage each other in anyway we can. there is no magic solution but we all care about each other and the best thing(as far as i,m concerned)was discovering that i,m not alone...even when i sometimes feel alone! so,Anita,you take care and join us in the chatroom sometime. love,Steve x

paradise
28-02-04, 18:16
Dear anita,
I also suffer from panic disorder. My performance was so poor that I was asked to leave. What I faced was palpitations, shortness of breath, irritability, anxiet and even depression. I was vomitting that it became so natural that I need to be hospitalised for a night. My head was trembling when i have to face my patients. So, this panic disorder, depression and anxiety of mine is tarnishing ,my life. Fear of going nuts was in me too.
But I never give up, with the support of friends and relatives, it help me to live again. Psychiatrist and psychologist can only help to a minimum limit. Medications can only calm u down for somtime but what u need to do is distract yourself by doing other things, think positively, i know its not easy but u have to try. Having a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle is the most important of the whole event, without good physical health, u can't combat this disorder. so I am still trying hard. Reading the Bible and prayers help if u are very sincere.
Pray to Jehovah God throght His son .It takes time , i have been suffering for nearly half a year and I am still struggling to walk out of this nightmare. I am on SSRI antidepressant and minor tranquliser, have to take the anti depressant regularly, effects are not out yet, but only take tranqulisers when neccesary. Well, if u dun want to rely on antidepressant, try deistracting yourself going to the beach, go for a holiday, listening to music or read a book that can lead u to stop lingering about that panic stuff. Or go to library borrow books to understand about the panic disorder and see how others walk out of it. So, please u must distract, think positively, dun drink caffeine to trigger! u can do it!

Rennie1989
28-02-04, 18:19
anita, nice seein ya in the chat room last night, how are ya now

nomorepanic
28-02-04, 19:24
Anita

Nice to meet you in chat last night :-)

I can really relate to a lot of what you say as I used to feel dizzy all the time and it was my biggest problem of all.

Relaxtion and learning to breathe correctly can help and the thing that helped me a lot was exercise. I know that you wont feel like it cos you feel dizzy but give it a try - even if it is just swimming.

Some sort of counselling may help you so don't be embarrassed to ask for some help.

Catch up with you again in chat I hope.

Nicola