PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

heavenly
16-08-10, 20:14
Hey guys

Just a bit of advice please. Have had the odd anxiety attack over the past 3-4 years, but never took it too seriously and could sort of manage it, but sort of knew I probably did need counselling at some point to get things out that I had buried. Just shows you, you can run but you can't hide!

But it all came to a head this weekend. I had a 48hr panic attack over the weekend, have never been so terrified in all my life. I went to hospital yesterday, she prescribed me Diazepam for a couple of days, just to get me through my state, 2mg to be taken 4 times a day, it has really helped, thank goodness! I am also seeing a counsellor this week then once a week after that, has to be done, need to get to the bottom of things!

Went to see my GP today who said he doesn't want me on Diazepam for too long as they are addictive, so he has prescribed me Propanoll (40 mg). I am to start them when I finish the Diazepam tomorrow. 1 tablet three times a day, or when I need them, I have a 28 day supply so far.

As the Diazepam really helped me, I just needed reassurance that Propanol will be as effective.

Thanks ever so much for your time reading this. xxx

suzy-sue
16-08-10, 20:45
Diazapam and Prop work in a different way .The prop will stop the racing heartbeats and hopefully stop the anxiety leading into a panic attack .They are effective .Whether you find them as effective ,time will tell .If you dont go back to the Dr and discuss this further ,there are other things available .Im sure they will help somewhat ,they work for a lot of people .all the best Sue x

heavenly
17-08-10, 00:26
Diazapam and Prop work in a different way .The prop will stop the racing heartbeats and hopefully stop the anxiety leading into a panic attack .They are effective .Whether you find them as effective ,time will tell .If you dont go back to the Dr and discuss this further ,there are other things available .Im sure they will help somewhat ,they work for a lot of people .all the best Sue x

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it. I don't just get a racing heartbeat, I did tell the GP this, told him its an all over body panic attack and I need something effective. He told me it should be fine, so I am keeping everything crossed! Will be starting them on Wed, and have an appointment with my own GP, the Wednesday after next, so can have a chat with her then.

Many thanks. xxx

heavenly
19-08-10, 08:52

Well its only been a day of taking them and I am going to see my own GP this morning, haven't been able to see her since the attacks started last Friday.

Got an attack about 9.30pm last night, took my last Propanalol for the day, did absolutely nothing at all. Got about 3 hours sleep. Whereas Diazepam, I slept like a baby. I know it may take time, but I don't have time when I get an attack like that, I need something that is going to work and quick! So hopefully my GP can shed some light on this. Thanks for the reply. xx

heavenly
19-08-10, 16:15
Well my GP took me off Propanolol, and put me on Olanzapine. Also, gave me a handful of Diazapem for an emergency. she said the Prop isn't enough for me (I did tell the other GP this). So hopefully Olanzapine will do the trick!