PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone found success with counselling?

tones27tga
17-08-10, 03:00
I have been to a counsellor once so far and am booked to go again on Friday, only problem is it's $120 per session which is a lot of money and I'm not sure how many more sessions I can afford.

Anxious_gal
17-08-10, 07:56
hmm this is a hard one, I do think counselling can really help but it depends on the councilor.
I've been to quite a few, I found two that helped but it was so expensive and I don't work.
I think I found the CBT therapy the most beneficial :-)

Rory23
17-08-10, 08:29
I have been to a counsellor once so far and am booked to go again on Friday, only problem is it's $120 per session which is a lot of money and I'm not sure how many more sessions I can afford.

Hi there,

Councilling really helps. It has helped me no end. I wouldn't say i was that near being cured now, but ive definately started to improve. You will find that you can turn from being negative to being positive pretty quickly once the tide turns.

However, I pay £40 a session for a very highly qualified councillor - so to me it sounds like you're paying over the odds. Perhaps the rates are different in the US, so it might be worth shopping around. That said, i would suggest that investing money in something that could make you feel happier - then its got to be worth it

Cheers

blueangel
17-08-10, 09:15
I've been to two counsellors, and had what I would describe as variable success. The first one was brilliant, as the work I did with her was quite directed and specific. She didn't want to just talk about things, but helped me find solutions. Amongst the successes I had with her were understanding the mechanisms that cause panic attacks, which reduced them greatly, and managing to cure my phobia of dentists, which I'd had for many years.

Unfortunately, this lady retired, so when I needed to see someone three years ago I had to try someone else. This worked far less well; she was very reflective and in about 8 sessions I didn't feel that I had got anywhere, so I stopped going.

Good illustration of how important it is to find someone that suits how you are, I guess.

If I go back to someone again, I will ask questions about their counselling techniques, as the proactive approach definitely works better for me.

tones27tga
17-08-10, 09:50
Thank you all for your replies, it helps to have reassurance that it could be beneficial. I need to look in to CBT as I don't know much about it and I might discuss it with my counsellor, see if it is something she can help with.

Rory23
17-08-10, 13:44
Thank you all for your replies, it helps to have reassurance that it could be beneficial. I need to look in to CBT as I don't know much about it and I might discuss it with my counsellor, see if it is something she can help with.

Good luck with your search. CBT is fantastic and gives you hope instead of feeling lost