PDA

View Full Version : Superstition/supernatural

Mudskipper
17-08-10, 13:24
Is it just me or does anyone else find that superstiton and worry about the supernatural increases when anxiety is high? Lately I'm a bag of nerves, always on the lookout for the next omen, the next odd coincidence, worrying about odd noises in the house etc. Is God trying to tell me something? Is something taunting me because I'm so easily got at? Am I finally going round the bend? Sounds odd, I know, but right now anything seems possible. I'm aching with tension and worry as I write this...:weep:

Franz
17-08-10, 13:45
I'm just the same. The more anxious I am, the more I worry about omens. I do believe in a supernatural realm, but belief in omens says more about your state of mind than it does about objective reality. On good days, I can see a single magpie without even thinking about it, but on bad days I get this feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

I read a quotation by an native American, who said that Western people who put their trust in special crystals etc. are missing the point. Magic is not inherent in objects, but in our attitudes to those objects. Thus, if your attitude towards a crystal is merely of hope that it will help you, then it won't work - but if you really believe it will help you, then it will.

As for omens, I try to remind myself that it's just my anxiety talking - i.e. remind myself that at other times I can see "omens" without attaching any meaning to them. It's not the omen that's the problem, but the fear.