PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Sertraline help!

StressedEric
17-08-10, 18:37
Hi, I have been on cit. 20mg for 5 months didn't do a lot for me my anxiety was still very high started to drift into a kind of spaced out zombie mode just seemed to get more prominent as weeks have gone byfeeling more and more spaced out as time went on. started to lose grip on reliaty! :ohmy: Tried going up to 30mg for 1 week but only made things worse anxiety higher scared all the time, very difficult to concentrate at all. Just see me getting worse and worse!

Seen doc today and he wants me to come off cit and try Sertraline (which I understand is another SSRI). He said take cit one day, Sertraline the next for 1 week and then Sertraline all the time (apparently they same family so ok to do this???) Really really worried about taking another SSRI (which is not helping my anx) and the withdrawl effects of cit and don't think I'll be able to cope with another set of horrible side effcts (going on what happened when I started cit.). I'll end up going mad if the foggy dizzy thing gets worse! :weep: Don't know if I want to take any more meds at all!

StressedEric
17-08-10, 19:45
Really appreciate any advice.

JT69
17-08-10, 20:04
Hi eric,

I cannot comment on sertraline as have never taken it but have taken citalopram in the past for a number of years...it worked for me...but we are all different and it clearly is not doing what you would like it to hence your GP wanting you to change.

I think that it shouldn't be too bad in transition as both meds are srri's...so side effects should be minimal. Even though you have been given another srri it just might work for you as they all are different.

What have you got to lose?? I understand you being worried but try not to be it might not be that bad.

Wish I could help you more....but I wish you luck and hopefully some sertraline takers will answer soon for you.

Take care
Jo.xx

Walking Contradiction
18-08-10, 09:24
I'm going the other way, from Sertraline to Citlopram. I came off Prozac and went onto Sertraline without any side effects, the transistion was pretty smooth.
Been on Sertraline for about 6 months now and am starting Citlopram next week.

Sertraline didn't do much for me though, but as Jo said, we are all different and your GP has made the change for a reason (like me lol)

Keep posting to let us know how your getting on

George

StressedEric
18-08-10, 18:22
Hi, I did go from 20mg to 30mg cit just over a week ago after going to the doc. Since then my anxiety levels have boosted to v.high shaking all over head spinning very jittery haven't eaten v.much. This is why went to docs on Tue. Very scared that if take new meds now the way the doc said (one day cit one day sertraline) that it will push it even further and end up in hospital Never been this bad. :weep:

Walking Contradiction
18-08-10, 19:29
From what i've been told Sert and Cit are pretty similar, so i would think you won't have a problem, however different drugs affect people in different ways (as your probably aware) But if your doc thought it wasnt a good idea, he wouldn't of told you to do it.
You will get throught this

StressedEric
19-08-10, 13:59
Has anyone come off cit onto another SSRI this way (cit one day new tab the next)? The usual way I understand it is to wean off old med before starting new one. Worried that I'll get the new side effects from the new one combined with withdrawal effects from old one + my v.high anxiety. Feel like I'm losing control!! :weep: What makes iit worse is that I'm in work and due to take my first Sertraline tab this afternoon!:scared15:

Dahlia
19-08-10, 15:23
I stopped sertraline and switched to Effexor the same way you are doing, and had no withdrawal symptoms, just a few symptoms such as light headedness from starting the Effexor. I then cross-tapered back onto sertraline as Effexor didn't work, and had some nausea at times but that was all - and I am sure that was due to the Effexor. In the past, I have switched from citalopram to seroxat (I think it was, or it could have been sertraline) and don't recall any problems at all.

If you're really worried, ask your GP is you can cross taper for a while - but in my experience it's not too bad switching - even though I was petrified at the thought.

Good luck.

Walking Contradiction
19-08-10, 15:29
How you getting on StressedEric?
Any major side effects?

StressedEric
19-08-10, 19:51
How you getting on StressedEric?
Any major side effects?

Took tab this afternoon for 1st time while at work. Started with a headache later on which has got worse - hoping it will subside this evening. Anx still the same frequent bouts ofl shaking, sweats and jittery. I have been suffering from depersonalisation and dizzyness, no focus etc. constantly for ages- tonight it feels a bit more hightened - sitting in my living room it feels very strange hard to describe - very scary! :wacko: Don't know if this anx or Sertraline or just a bad day but only taken one Sertraline so far so will have to see how it does. Remembering I still have cit in my system as well.

Is going on 50mg Sertraline a bit of a jump? maybe I should've been started on 25mg and then gradually increase? :shrug:

Walking Contradiction
19-08-10, 20:32
Personally i went from 20mg of Prozac to 50mg Sertraline then one week later to 100mg of Sertraline. Now down to 50mg a day, untill 30/8/10 when i start Cit.
I suspect once the Cit's out of your system and the Sertraline kicks in you'll be fine. Think the half life for Cit is 36 hours.
Hope this (kinda) helps

Dahlia
19-08-10, 22:00
I also switched onto 50mg sertraline - the way I figured it was that you already have a highish level of Citalopram in your blood stream, so switching to a highish level of sertraline should hopefully keep the neurotransmitter levels constant. I'm probably talking rubbish!

Hang in there :-)

StressedEric
19-08-10, 23:48
This headache is crippling! Is there anything that i can take which is ok to take with these meds?

StressedEric
19-08-10, 23:56
Personally i went from 20mg of Prozac to 50mg Sertraline then one week later to 100mg of Sertraline. Now down to 50mg a day, untill 30/8/10 when i start Cit.
I suspect once the Cit's out of your system and the Sertraline kicks in you'll be fine. Think the half life for Cit is 36 hours.
Hope this (kinda) helpso

As alternating between cit and sertraline each day for a week gonna be tough week until stop taking cit as both meds Will be in system and they both quite high doses. Hope the headaches ease as this one is bloody awful.

StressedEric
20-08-10, 14:40
Day 2 of alternating meds. Took cit today. Had awful night that headache is one of the worst I have ever had but eased off a bit now Anx has shot up into the stratasphere today (it was high b4!): comstant trembeling, head is full of negative "I will never get better" thoughts, sweating like a pig, adrenaline rushes thru arms can't relax or concentrate at all, finding speaking to people difficult just want to run away! and this only day 2! Throught alternating the tabs would be easier than this! :scared15:

StressedEric
20-08-10, 20:40
I stopped sertraline and switched to Effexor the same way you are doing, and had no withdrawal symptoms, just a few symptoms such as light headedness from starting the Effexor. I then cross-tapered back onto sertraline as Effexor didn't work, and had some nausea at times but that was all - and I am sure that was due to the Effexor. In the past, I have switched from citalopram to seroxat (I think it was, or it could have been sertraline) and don't recall any problems at all.

If you're really worried, ask your GP is you can cross taper for a while - but in my experience it's not too bad switching - even though I was petrified at the thought.

Good luck.

Got really into a panic cos taking 30mg cit one day and 50mg sertraline (quite strong doses!) the next for a week then abruptly stopping citalopram and worried that in fact I am overloading my system with Serotonin taking both like this read up on swapping meds and isn't it normal practice to taper of the old drug while increasing the other i.e. cross taper instead of this way???????? :scared15::scared15: help!

Dahlia
20-08-10, 21:16
Hi StressedEric - I have pm'd you. Seems I was wrong about cross tapering between SSRIs...the NHS doesn't seem to recommend it. (I cross tapered between an SNRI and SSRI, but never between SSRIs and I assumed wrongly that you could). I've made a suggestion anyway...

Dahlia

StressedEric
21-08-10, 14:28
I am in real mess my anxiety overnight has gone up again and can't even sleep as cant shake off focusing off the negative thoughts, I can't cope with this it is the worst it has ever ever been my head is racing more than ever can't distract myself from it, i am visibly shaking all over and burning down my arms I don't know where to turn I am on my own and too scared to go out to talk to anyone. I don't know if it is alternating the drugs has caused the jump of anx but never had it this bad :weep::weep:

StressedEric
21-08-10, 23:20
I am in real mess my anxiety overnight has gone up again and can't even sleep as cant shake off focusing off the negative thoughts, I can't cope with this it is the worst it has ever ever been my head is racing more than ever can't distract myself from it, i am visibly shaking all over and burning down my arms I don't know where to turn I am on my own and too scared to go out to talk to anyone. I don't know if it is alternating the drugs has caused the jump of anx but never had it this bad :weep::weep:

Still feel terrible the burning sensation in arms has gone away probably the adrenaline but really shakey although not as bad as when posted before.Head is spinning and anx still ruling me. Think back to docs next week. Think the initial dose of sertraline is too high for me when alternating with Citalopram.

Walking Contradiction
23-08-10, 09:53
How long you got left alternating meds?

StressedEric
23-08-10, 14:41
How long you got left alternating meds?

I was so ill anxiety was so high went back to see doc this morning. Unfortunately couldn't see same doc cos emergency appointment. She told me to stop taking the Sertraline 50mg and reduce the Cit to 20mg. Had only took 1 sertraline at that point. Thanks for your support.

Clarissa83
31-08-10, 20:21
Hi Stressed Eric,

I was on cit 20mg and took myself off of them with the advice from the doc, then I fell apart and went onto sertraline 50mg, on cit i felt like i was watching life and my friends and family pass me by through a glass window with a net curtin over. I felt soo distant. I then was on sertraline which gave me headaches, and now i feel rubbish on them, They aren't helping me personally. So going to docs tomorrow to get them changed again!! I am hoping he can perscribe me something to make me feel normal!!! hope this helps you.

smunden
01-09-10, 14:59
interesting to read your post Eric as I am just a bout to switch from citalopram to sertraline.
I have been told to take my 20mg of citalopram every other day for 2 weeks then have 2 days with nothing then start on the sertraline - 50mg daily which seems a hell of a jump.

I have had lots of side effects with the citalopram - headaches, upset stomach, panic attacks worse and very up and down moods so hope thois tablet is better.

Be good to hear how you are getting on...