PDA

View Full Version : TAKING ANY NEW MEDICATION

Lottie32
27-02-04, 09:27
I've noticed the number of people on the site who have problems with medication and side effects.

I've been lucky, and until recently, haven't really had to take anything. :D

Over the last few months however, I have been struggling. I have been diagnosed with depression, and have decided to tackle it with a combination of CBT/counselling and medication.

I started to feel quite anxious about taking the drugs - would they make me ill, or would I make myself ill by imagining the symptoms were happening to me? [:p]

I mentioned this at CBT, and this is how I got through it.

I discussed mediation at my CBT session (Amanda is a trained nurse). We wrote I list of what my requirements were - non drowsy, still able to drink moderately, etc. etc. I made a list of all the non-prescribed medication that I take (supplements, and over the counter remedies like Mucron).

When I went to the doctors, I explained about my worry about "making" myself have the side effects through worrying that I might be about to get them! I then gave her my list, and asked her to prescribe accordingly.

She gave me some general advice on when and how to take, and what other medicines to avoid whilst taking them.

After I had been to the chemist, I went to see my friend Tracy, and asked her to read the leaflet that came with the medication.

I asked her to tell me only the warning signs - the if your head turns purple and your tongue goes green stop taking immediately and see your doctor bit.

Then I went home, and started taking them the next day along with my other supplements and medication.

I don't know what the side effects of these tablets are, and guess what? I haven't felt ill since I started taking them.

It worked for me, and it might work for you - but if you're the sort of person who "makes" yourself ill, then it's worth trying next time you have some new meds. The doctor was quite happy not to tell me the whole list of side effects, and totally understood the theory behind "talking yourself ill". She thought it was quite sensible. Also, Tracy copied all the side effects down, and if I don't feel too good, I can phone her up and say "I feel such and such - is it the tablets", she can look it up and say NO.

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

kate
27-02-04, 09:48
Charlie,

When I first had depression at 19, I was prescribed anti d's (Prothiaden).

I never even read the leaflet with them, never even knew about side effects.

I had no effects at all and when I gradually came off them, some 18 months later, I had no side effects then either.

Twelve years ago, after having my daughter, I developed severe PND. Was prescribed the same anti d's and again, had no side effects.

Over the last few years, I have been prescribed several different anti d's and, being aware now of side effects, I read the leaflets.

And, surprise, surprise, I suffered side effects and discontinued use after only a month or so on each tablet.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Take Care

Kate x

Lottie32
27-02-04, 10:30
Hi Kate

Hope you're ok.

I don't think most of us realise how powerful the mind really is!

I know that if I knew what could happen to me on these tablets, then it's more than likely that I would actually start suffering with the symptoms, and you've just proved what I suspected!

You'll have to try not reading the leaflets again.

As Tracy pointed out, the information leaflet for paracetanol, and decongestants, is actually very similar to the anit deps I was on. Most medication has the potential to upset the stomach, and of course the manufacturers put down every eventuality!

Love

Charlie

kate
27-02-04, 10:36
Hiya Charlie,

Funny thing is though, I never bother reading the leaflets that accompany paracetamol or other over the counter medicines for colds etc!

Kate x

Lottie32
27-02-04, 11:23
Kate

Don't! It's scary

Just going through my desk at work and found the following - can you guess what they are from the possible side effects?

ITEM ONE - are unsuitable for anybody intolerant to carbohydrates. And can cause allergic reaction and ashtma

ITEM TWO- can cause skin rash, nausea, vomitting, difficulty sleeping, raised blood pressure with headache and palpitations, tingling and coolness of the skin or rapid heart rate. (Also rare reports of blood disorders)

Item one was STREPSILS and Item two was SUDAFED - both available over the counter, without prescription!!!

It wasn't till I started on my anti deps that I started reading the leaflets for everything - to make sure that I am taking compatible drugs. And discovered that nearly everything has the potential to make you poorly. (But probably only if you know what the poorly is likely to be in the first place!)

Charlie

benoo5
27-02-04, 13:22
what a great post charlie,

you are lucky,to have such a good therapist,and doctor,its nice to see professionals working so well together,for the benefit of the patient.

i would suggest to anyone,about to visit there doctor,to firstly write everything down,that they want to know,about there illness,and the medications available.its so easy to go to the health centre full of questions in your head,only to clam up,in front of a grumpy doctor.

sorry to hear about your depression,but knowing you,it will be short term..you have a knack of getting to grips with a problem,and throwing it out of the window..ime sure you will do the same now matey.

take care....bryan.

Meg
27-02-04, 18:27
During a series of clinical trials which all medications have to go through, it is a legal requirement to list every medical event that all patients have throughout the trial.

Each investigator has to assess whether they think the side effect is due to the drug or not.

At the end of the trial all the data is submitted to the Medicine Control Agency and they decide whether the drug is effective enough , the benefits outweigh any potential problems and the safety profile.

All the medical events reported as possibly/ probably being related have to go on the Patient Information Leaflet . Most doctors with new drugs err on the side of caution - thus everything appears on it.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
27-02-04, 21:36
Hi all

Further to Meg's post. I have had numerous dealings with the MCA (medicines control agency) and believe me, they are extremely thorough and good at their jobs!

love Sarah
xx