PDA

View Full Version : Time to put some real effort in

Eva May
18-08-10, 13:06
So how exactly do I do that? I've been making efforts in fits and starts but never on a continuous basis, it's like I lack ambition or I'm just a big lazy teenager who just won't put in the work. My cousin lives about a 2 hour drive away from me and she has an 18 month old baby that I haven't met because I haven't been able to travel for the last 7 years. Anyway she's getting married next August and I really really really want to go because my family are a lot of fun when they get together. But as soon as I drive out of my comfort zone the panic attacks start beating me up so does anyone have any tips on how to buckle down and stop being so lazy? I hate the word lazy but sometimes I feel that that's the only thing stopping me and I only have 12 months :D Thanks.

Anxious_gal
18-08-10, 14:42
well for me, It's making sure I go for a walk every day. I decided that if I get too nervous I will go back home but will try to keep going.
I had a small panic attack on my to town and well my worst fear is feeling like I can't control my breathing so i started hyperventilating. i somehow managed to calm down enough to keep walking into town.
i was scared the whole time!
once I'm comfortable walking, my next step is to have coffee in a coffee shop.
I'm not good at being still and sitting down.
after that I hope to be able to walk as far as my local train station.
then take a 25 minute bus ride to a familys house (eventually) (alone!)
I'm also applying for a short course soon. so i will have to walk there and sit in a class room for 3 hours!

thing is every time i leave the house i get panicky. but once i get walking and pass my comfort zone (the local shop at the moment) I tend to start to calm down a little.
I do try and not worry about the walk home too.

I have to leave my house soon and to be honest I feel awful!
But my friend has moved 4 hours away and it's my goal to be able to visit him (this year sometime).

the anxiety s going to get bad,worse before it gets better.
so be prepared for that.

heavenly
19-08-10, 10:01
Mishel - wow, inspiring. Thanks for that list, this has all started big time for me since only last Friday, so its a bit new...and terrifying to me at the mo, but I do write down at the end of the day ANYTHING at all that I think I have achieved, it does help. I will take inspiration from your list, thank you. xxx

Eva May - Don't ever call yourself lazy, this 'thing' we all have to deal with is dehabilitating, its a struggle to do the simplest thing, so don't beat yourself up. But an achievement list is a great idea, read above! Little baby steps, you will get there!! xxx

Eva May
19-08-10, 13:29
I really like the idea of writing down all the positives and achievements of my day because even though I see my positives I almost ignore them and give out about the negatives so I guess step one is be more positive :)

heavenly
19-08-10, 15:57
I really like the idea of writing down all the positives and achievements of my day because even though I see my positives I almost ignore them and give out about the negatives so I guess step one is be more positive :)

We are all guilty of that. We concentrate on the bad stuff, ignore the good stuff...no idea why!

But now I write the good stuff down. :D