PDA

View Full Version : Amitripiline side effects

Adam22
18-08-10, 14:28
Hi ,

Just wanted to know about this really.. doc perscribed with me Amitripiline 10mg 1 or 2 before bed..

i took my first one last night bout 2 hours before bed.. felt really tired...

i woke this morning and felt really heavy.. bit dizzy.. bit shakey.. and just sort of weak..

is this normal for this medication

any replies would be great

Adz :yesyes:

SHYGIRLAJB
18-08-10, 14:59
Hi, Adam,

I sort of been on these on and off really. Well not for long really. It only made my eye lids tired, not my brain, so hmmm. The next day my eye lids was still tired, but didn't suffer shaking and dizzy really.

How long have you been on these. What did your dr prescribe them for, sorry for just being nosy, just was wondering.

Anita, XX

Adam22
18-08-10, 15:04
been having tension headaches.. aches and pains .. emotional and anxiety..

i took my first one last night..

only took 1 ..

SHYGIRLAJB
18-08-10, 16:16
Hi Adam,

I see, hmm, perhaps you should give them a chance to work. And then see if you get all of these things.

Sorry, don't know what else to say really. :hugs:

Anita. XX. :hugs:

anthrokid
19-08-10, 03:18
Heya Adam,

Amitrip does have some pretty horrible symptoms when you're first adjusting to it. Remember to drink lots of water because they can make you thirsty! I got shaking and dizziness when I started them. Talk to your doctor about the side effects you're getting :)

blueangel
19-08-10, 09:37
Hi Adam

One of the main side effects of amitryptyline is tiredness, but I think is does wear off with time. You're on quite a small dose so your body should adjust to it. Good advice from Amiee as well, drinking lots of water is important as it seems to slow down the production of saliva.

It can also cause constipation in some people, so the water will help out with that as well.

jinglebells
20-08-10, 21:23
I have been taking amytripytlyn 20mg for the past 8 months. To start off with I felt very much like you. Incredibly tired and sometimes shakey. After a few months the side effects get better. I still sleep really heavy but none of the shaking. My problem now is that if I forget to take them I can't sleep :-( they have worked wonders for my tension headaches, try and stick with them :-)

Adam22
20-08-10, 22:11
yeh i have a long duration headache too... if it relieves that . its worth it !!

thanks for the advice

Adam :)

reddevil
21-08-10, 16:50
I have been on 50mg for a few years, just makes me a tired more, a few hours after taking them, that's why they are to be taken at night etc.

kittykat
21-08-10, 23:00
I'm on these 50mg at night....... just make sure you take them earlier in the evening ( i take mine round about 7pm) , as taking them later which i was doing can make you feel really slow and sluggish almost like a hangover the next day as i found out, it was the doctor that told me to take them earlier to avoid this and it does work, good luck and hopefully the should help x