PDA

View Full Version : New to panic, and new to NMP!

sarah_85
18-08-10, 23:07
Hello, my name is Sarah. I'm 24 and in my final year of training to be a midwife. Just out of the blue I have started having panic attacks (3 full on attacks so far) and constant low grade anxiety for the last 2 weeks. It's making me feel like I am losing my mind. Nothing around me looks or feels the same as it used to a few weeks ago and the weirdest thing is that I thought I was fine, just was enjoying life, going to work, being with friends and now I feel like it's been taken away from me. I have good periods and bad periods, sometime I almost feel like normal and other times I'm completely detached, anxious, nervous and my mind just races, am just terrified.:wacko: And I live in fear of when the next attack might me. I also experience random pains in my chest which seems to move around. The first night I had a panic attack I had no idea what was going on, I thought I was dying and went to A&E. They ran lots of tests and I am physically well, but I still seem to sometimes be convinced I'm dying. I have since seen the doctor and am on beta-blockers. Next stage is going to occupational health nurse and hopefully receive some counselling.
Am really pleased to have found this site, and know that I'm not alone. reading stuff on here is making me feel sane, because being around my family and friends who i love, and who are very supportive, just makes me feel more crazy because they are all "normal" and functioning and I just can't seem to. Hoping to meet lots of people here who can sympathise and who I can help and well as them helping me. :shrug:
Thanks for listening. xxx

nomorepanic
18-08-10, 23:09
Hi sarah_85

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

charlb
19-08-10, 08:33
Hi Sarah, without a doubt those first few weeks are the worst, not knowing whats going on with your body & mind is so scary! But its the fear of the panic attacks that feeds them & increases the anxiety. Trust me i'v suffered 4 a long time but I learned as much as I could about this horrible thing called panic, I changed my diet, cut out alcohol & caffeine cause they were a big trigger for my anxiety & I do more excercise, slowly iv started 2 feel more "normal" with the occasional chest pain & fuzzy head. The main thing is not to fear it, accept this is how you are at the moment & it will get better. This site is amazing, read as much as possibe about your symptoms, it'll help you understand whats happening better. Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me if you wish. Take care, love charlotte xx

FroggyPrince
20-08-10, 23:03
Welcome to the group, Sarah!

Paul (Froggy) :D

mandylou28
21-08-10, 00:48
Hiya Sarah.

Welcome

Xxx

Vanilla Sky
21-08-10, 19:50
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: