PDA

View Full Version : Anger and feeling agitated

CitKat
19-08-10, 09:50
Hi all, hope someone can help me.

I've been taking Citalopram for the last month to relax me and help me sleep, but because my sleep was getting worse and I was getting more restless the doc switched me to 15mg of Mirtazapine to help with my sleeping more than depression.

I took the first tablet on Tuesday night (2 days ago) just before I went to bed at 11pm and it knocked me out. I slept through until 7.30 (apart from wanting to go to the loo 1/2 way through the night) and I haven't done that in such a long time. I thought, "Great. Finally I'm going to start having a good night sleep." Although I woke with a bit of headache I thought it was fine.

But when I got home from work last night I started feeling a bit agitated and I snapped at my wife for a harmless comment, which I shouldn't have done. Took another tablet at 10.30pm then went to bed. This time it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get to sleep and, when I finally did get to sleep, I had a restless night with very vivid dreams. I woke up this morning feeling very angry with everything and everyone, and I'm still feeling on edge now.

Oh, I also woke up this morning with what felt like a really bad hangover, although I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in about 3 months. Drank plenty of water yesterday so I know it wan't that.
Have other people experienced this and how long does it last? Is it a temporary side effect or permanent?

I don't like this feeling, I was doing better without any drugs as my mindfulness meditation, which I've been doing since January this year, was helping me stay calm and relaxed. The only reason I agreed to take the tablets was to help with my sleeping.

I think I might not bother taking any tablets for my sleep problems and just try and sort it out using natural, alternative methods rather than drugs which are simply poisoning my system. I do not like this feeling of anger, which I haven't had since last December before I started my meditation.

:mad: Stephen :weep:

Chris_76_UK
19-08-10, 10:42
Hello,

I to have just recently changed over too Mirtazapine (30mg) from Citalopram (40mg) and had very simililar experiences to you, i have taken 6 tablets, and for the first few days had drunk feelings and very bad aggression which is nothing like my normal character, along with vivid dreams, nightmares and dizziness.

My doctors advised me too continue and the symptoms have eased, for me they have anyway! after about 4/5 days.

Its really early days for you and myself, and maybe persistance is the key!?

Take care

Chris

JT69
19-08-10, 10:52
Hi Stephen,

I have been taking mirtazipine since February...started on 15mg went up to 30mg and now am starting to taper due to feeling much better so back on 15mg.

When I first started taking them I was horrendous...I would be really nasty to my husband and family for no reason and fly off the handle at the slightest thing. This did settle down after a while, thankfully I have an understanding hubby who just turned a blind eye. I knew I was doing it and it was so out of character for me but I just couldn't help it.

I also had the hangover feeling etc but again it all does settle. Mirtazipine for me got me in a much better place, I had previously taken citalopram but it didnt work the last time for me....I found I had weird dreams on mirt too but a brilliant nights sleep.

I have gained weight on it and that is a huge downfall but now am reducing am hoping I can shed some of it....one day at a time!!!

Hope you feel better soon...the side effects will go.

Take care
Jo.xx

CitKat
31-08-10, 12:17
I have stopped taking any drugs now, except for the occasional paracetamol if I've got a headache, as I do not want any more poisons in my system. I did not like the feeling of anger I had when I started taking these pills so I'm not going to bother any more. I am going to try more natural remedies and really get into my meditation.

Been on holiday for the past week, stayed with family in a beautiful part of North Wales so I was able to relax and was tablet free the whole time. I've been meditating at least twice a day, first thing in the morning and just before bed, and I am feeling wonderful. I'm still not sleeping properly at night, but that's something I think I can solve, but due to my meditation I have never felt happier and at peace with myself. Even my family said they noticed a difference with me and actually enjoyed my company for a change :D

So, as I've said, I will never be using any form of anti-depressant drugs again as they made me feel worse and more depressed. I do highly recommend meditation as a way to cope with day to day problems and to relax.

A very happy and relaxed Steve :yesyes:

MadJam
31-08-10, 22:39
Good on you KitCat! If you have dont have any serious anxiety or depression (what a blessing), then I wouldn't recommend anything that may cause it!! Just keep doing what your doing!! Take care:yesyes: