PDA

View Full Version : New to this medication??

HunniBee
19-08-10, 12:48
Hi,

I have just been prescibed this as I haven't slept in 3-4 days due to bad anxiety about returning to work after being signed off for 2 weeks.

Need advice really??

I am also on 20mg cit too and have been for 4 weeks.

Thanks

HB x

ElizabethJane
19-08-10, 12:57
Hi Hunnibee what dose is your GP starting you on? As you might be aware mirtazapine is extremely sedating in the lower doses and when you first start taking it. The sedation can continue during the day. If it is possible I would delay going back to work for a few weeks at least until your body has got used to the medication. I have taken mirt with other anti d's and it worked well as an add on. My diagnosis is severe recurrent depressive disorder. I am on lithium 1,000mg and mirtazapine 45mg.

HunniBee
19-08-10, 13:03
Hi,

I have been put on 15mg as I had trouble sleeping as diazepam and other anti anx drugs were not doing anything for me!!

Is lithium an ad?? Sorry im pretty new to all this.

I have been signed off for another 2 weeks but scared of telling work incase I get sacked :(

HB x

ElizabethJane
19-08-10, 13:28
Hi Hunnibee your employment can't sack you if you are off sick and sending in certificates. In answer to your lithium question: lithium is not an anti d but a mood stabilser. I have to be careful with my diet and fluid intake and go for three monthly blood tests. I have been on it for about twelve years. I had a very serious depressive illness and the lithium has kept me stable. I work part time and have an active social life. It is not something that is usually prescribed by GPs as it needs careful monitoring by a psychiatrist. It usually is prescribed for bi-polar illness but for severe depression as well. 15mg mirt will be very sedating. I was on dothiepin as well as mirt for a while now off dothiepin.

HunniBee
19-08-10, 13:35
Very interesting. I thought that about work but can't shake the feeling as I've been back for 3 days and now I do this again!! Im too scared to call them and tell them plus my parents are very unhappy that I've been signed off again.

HB x

ElizabethJane
19-08-10, 14:26
They can't touch you with the necessary paperwork. I believe honesty is the best policy. Could you ring them and speak to your line manager? It might be better to be signed off for a longer period to get yourself really better?

JT69
19-08-10, 15:30
Hi Hunnibee,

I agree with EJ I think you need to take some time out of work and get yourself right before going back. Work are not allowed to sack you if you have a certificate etc for your illness.

The medication will take a while to get into your system and can cause side effects when first taking it but these will go and you will feel the benefit from it.

I had to take quite a long time out of work with my last period of illness but went back in March on a phasing in period. I was like you when first ill worrying about being off and this just made me worse, once I accepted I was ill and needed time out I then could start the recovery process.

I wish you well, but please dont worry about work...its you thats important...the job will still be there for you when you are ready.

Take care
Jo.xx

HunniBee
20-08-10, 08:54
Wow!! Just when you think they don't work Christ do they!!

I took my first one last night, and slept like a baby!! Does the groginess wear off in the morning after a while??

HB x

Vixxy
20-08-10, 13:40
Try to take it as early in the evening as you can. I take mine at 9:30pm and find that by the time morning has come round Im not groggy. however if i take it later than 10:30pm then I will wake up groggy and feel off all day.

discostu58
20-08-10, 16:18
Hi Hunnibee
I know tht awful feeling about returning to work it took me almost 12 month to finally go back I was put on "light duties" and basically kept away from the shop floor because of my mood swings now I'm on mirt 45mg but also slip in a 15 or 30mg during the day depending on severity of my mood on a particular day
I agree with Vixxy mirt can knock you about a bit first thing in morning usually takes me at least 2 hours to function I am thinking of asking to be put on lithium is this a wise move????
Stu

HunniBee
20-08-10, 18:26
Hi Stu,

it is an awful feeling isn't it!! I feel so guilty about not going in, keep worrying about loosing my job whilst im off or when I get back.

More to worry about while im off :( because I've already 2 weeks off.

I have no idea about lithium, I've been told to take the mirt a little earlier in the evenings but im out most evenings so I don't tend to take mine til I get in bed.

HB x

GlasgowGuy
24-08-10, 09:43
I was on Mirt last year and used to take it as early as 8:30-9:00 at night. Let it kick in and be out for the count by ten bells. All depends on how your life is and if you are busy at night or first thing in morning.