PDA

View Full Version : I'm new - so here is my story !!

robmich
26-02-06, 12:33
As a 47 year old I experienced my first panic attack in December 2005. At the time I woke up at 4am with palpitations of the heart and tingling in the fingers of the right hand.
Not knowing what it was I went straight to hospital ( in Stoke where I live) as I thought this was the end ! After tests I was admitted for further tests as an ecg highlighted a defect in my heart which could have been present for years or was the cause of my symptoms. I was in hospital for 2 days and came out feeling worse quite simply because I was not told anything definite. I had more blood taken out of me than dracula would have taken, more ecgs etc but was not told anything as to the cause. What made it worse was that due to a shortage of beds was in a ward which quite simply was a step from life to death as during my time in hospital 3 people died - I just wanted to get out.
I was released from hospital with the only comfort being that I was to see a cardiologist professor as an outpatient. But as I did not know what had caused my attack, at the back of my mind was 'I am going to die from an heart attack'. Your mind then thinks about what you want to do before you leave this planet - would I be here to see my daughter get married in August and would I ever see Birmingham City win the FA cup !! Forgetting the latter, as I would have to live to be 200 !, I tried to be positive, but my mind went back to my time in hospital and the images of people being 'wheeled away in tin coffins and this obviously affected me.
I should point out that I do not smoke, never have, drink less than one unit of alcohol per week, have no family history of heart problems, no personal / finance problems. I am also the most 'laid back' person you could meet - my wife tells me that I am so laid back I am horizontal!!
2 days later I went to see my GP, purely to try to find out what could have caused my attack. Unfortunately I had to see a 'locum' who did not care about what I had to say, told me not to worry, go away and think positive.
The following day I went to Glasgow for a meeting. During the meeting I felt my chest tighten, became breathless and thought again this is the end. I managed to take a break where i went to the toilet, took deep breaths and finally the chest pain subsided. Fortunately the meeting finished shortly afterwards and i left for the airport. In the taxi I started to think about having to fly and what would happen if I had an attack whilst in the air. As a consequence I started to hyperventilate and decided that I needed to speak to someone. Fortunately the first aid officer was superb, he took me to a quiet room, let me tell him my story etc etc. We decided that to be safe that I would be looked at by a paramedic. The paramedic did an ecg, discovered the same defect previously mentioned and decided to get me into hospital. I was admitted to a 'proper ward' and the care I rec'd could not have been more different than that I had when first admitted in Stoke. In addition to further tests I was given the 'treadmill' test. Apparently if you can do this then there is nothing wrong with the heart. I passed with flying colours and it was as though a great big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Since before xmas I have had only one minor attack - this was whilst I was away in Kent. The doctor I saw there was superb, told me what may be causing my attacks, told me I was not going to die and gave me propanolol (beta blockers) which were only to be taken if I felt an attack was about to start.
I am still waiting for my outpatient appointment but I feel more better in myself. You never know, but without the attack this defect would not have been found. My GP thinks I have had this defect for many years.

Anyway I am sorry to have rambled on, but maybe this is what people need to do so that others can read what I have been through.

Please feel free to e-mail chat to me if you wish to talk about anything either regarding my story.

Robert (the Brummie!!)

R Taylor

Alexandra
26-02-06, 12:34
Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of support here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

trac67
26-02-06, 17:33
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
26-02-06, 18:12
Hi Robert

Welcome aboard and thanks for the comprehensive intro.

I hope we can be of some help to you on here and ask any questions you want to.

Nicola

Karen
26-02-06, 18:53
Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Piglet
26-02-06, 19:06
Hi Rob and welcome to the site.

It goes to show how much the proper reasurance, at the right time, can do to help.

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Robertc160882
26-02-06, 19:09
Hi Robb,

Have the doctors maybe said that this could be caused by your medical conditions as a lot of panic attacks etc are triggered because of this. I’m also very laid back but quite jokey with friends and struggle to understand why this has come about. I hope things do improve as life is worth more than been restricted by attacks etc.

floatlikeabutterfly
26-02-06, 20:48
Robmich

Have you read anything by Dr Claire Weekes.

You may find her books helpful.

Lozzie
26-02-06, 20:54
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forums. You will get lots of advice and make some new friends here.

Laura x

arethaire
26-02-06, 21:07
Hi Robert

Welcome ..... Good to hear your feeling much better in yourself : )

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat

Cath

sal
26-02-06, 22:11
Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum and giving us such a great intro into how things have been for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Ma Larkin
27-02-06, 10:59
Hi Robert, welcome to the site & you've got no chance winning the FA Cup haha! I'm a Bolton Wanderers fan, do you reckon they might have a chance! I'm glad you managed to get some postitive info on your 2nd trip to hospital. It must be worrying knowing that you have a defect, but at least you know the cause now, & that must be a relief in itself. I'm 39 & convinced that i'll probably be going out in a tin coffin with this panic. Its hell when its at its worst & always seems for no apparent reason with me. I don't have any worrying times really, panic just happens. This site is brilliant & you'll get some excellent advice & meet lots of new friends.

Les

lildutt
27-02-06, 11:08
hi rob
you will get loads of support from here im a new member like you and i have got loads of help from jackie and a person called karen
hope you be able to get the help u need
bell xx

wendy
27-02-06, 18:38
Hi Robert
Welcome to site! Was in Stoke A&E myself in December with same symptoms!
Wendy x

wobily_lin
28-02-06, 00:01
Hi Rob,

A big welcome to the site,

Take care,

Lin,
xxx

Sue K with 5
01-03-06, 00:22
Hi Rob

Welcome to NMP! I am so sorry things have not been so great for you but this site will give you a lot of supportive new friends who are always ready to lend an ear

Take good care

Sue with 5

scknight

Meg
01-03-06, 12:50
Hi Robert

Your fears have been very appropriate in origin and I suspect that as you get further explanations about the real cause of your heart issues ( you may need to specifically ask for time for explanations) and come to understand it , that your fears will subside and you will put all this behind you.

Well done for coping so well with them.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

clickaway
01-03-06, 16:55
Hi Robert,

Just wanted to welcome you along. Pleased that you're basically OK after all.

Cheers.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

robmich
23-03-06, 20:09
Just an update on my situation.
I have had no attacks since the beginning of the year and today I went to see the 'prof' as an outpatient.
I was told, as I had been told before, that my heart defect is known as a 'left bundle branch block' and that it looks like it had been present from birth if not afterwards.
It is not a 'life-threatening' condition in itself but needs further test to see the flow of blood into and out of the heart (this is a myocardial perfusion scan).
I have found NMP very enlightening finding out that there are people out there who are much worse than me. I have managed to get through , knowing that I have not had a heart attack, living life to the full and always saying to myself that my positive outlook will beat any emotional feelings I have about dying. To all of you stay and be positive. If you have nothing medical which is causing your condition, fight your mind, tell yourself you will not be beaten, life is too short as it is. You and those loved ones that are around you deserve to live life to the full, doing this without letting your mind beat you will give you a better quality of life.
Now that I have delivered my speech to the nation I will sign off for now apart from saying if anyone wants a chat please feel free to contact me.

ROB [8D] a smile for each of you !!

R Taylor

sal
24-03-06, 16:38
Hi Rob

Pleased you have being getting on okay.

Take care.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Granny Primark
25-03-06, 11:01
hi rob, im also from stoke, im 51 and had a mini stroke 3 years ago. i had my first panic attack last july and havent been able to work since. i have found that coming on here as really helped me. i really hope it does for you. take care LYNN