PDA

View Full Version : is not wanting to take meds a symptom of depression

rooby
19-08-10, 16:18
hi guys

I have posted a few times on here about this med, I have been prescribed it and have started to take it a couple of times but cannot stick with it, it made me feel awful - more depressed, more depersonalised etc I even had ideas of taking off somewhere, I want to know if not wanting to take the med is a symptom of the depression itself? Anyone else felt like this?

gypsywomen
19-08-10, 16:23
Me i have had anxiety 3 years bit of depression i was put on 3 diff kinds of antidepressants ,to be hones didnt do me any good but i know they do work for a lot of people but i dont take any ,, just tabs for sleep and 10mg propranolol.thats all for past 2 years

ElizabethJane
19-08-10, 17:43
Not wanting to take the mirt could be interpreted as you not wanting to accept that you are ill and need help? That could apply to any ant d med that your docs prescribe. Your reasons for not taking mirtazapine may be perfectly valid and we should repsect that too. Another way of looking at is to say 'well mirtazapine is going to make me feel lousy in the short term but I will feel better and my mood will lift and I will feel less depressed' Trust me what I am saying is true. Depressed people often lack insight into their condition and believe only the worst possible outcome when the opposite is true. The choice is ultimately yours.You will not be forced to take your meds unless you are hospitalised. I as well as others on the mirt forum are here to support you if you do take the plunge and take it. We are here to support each other here.

ElizabethJane
19-08-10, 17:52
An inability to make decisions could be interpreted as a symptom of that persons depression. It would have to be with other symptoms of depression such as low mood anxety sleeplessness or over sleeping etc.

rooby
20-08-10, 09:15
Thanks for your replies
I am depressed, have been diagnosed with panic, anxiety and now depression. I don't have any positivity anymore, I thought I was a strong person until everything inside me fell apart and now it is enough if I function through the day. I cannot see how any tablet can help me if the feeling is deep inside and just part of who I am now.

Moronic Pane
20-08-10, 12:29
I cannot see how any tablet can help me if the feeling is deep inside and just part of who I am now.

If you can admit that you are depressed to point of feeling that it's deep inside, then surely logic would tell you that such a person is unlikely to make objective assessments of himself.

You say you're depressed and it's part of who you are. Do you honestly think you are in any fit state to make that assessment? Don't you think that how you feel about your life will be coloured by your depression?

You think taking medicine won't help. Who is better at making that decision - you, now depressed, or your doctor?

rooby
20-08-10, 18:12
I don't quite know what to say to that it sounds a bit like a telling off.

ElizabethJane
23-08-10, 10:19
Dear Rooby I hope that you are feeling a bit better. I know from personal experience how dreadful and debilitating depression can be. If you are in no fit state to decide whether to take meds or not then I would trust the people that are looking after you to make the decision for you. Let them decide for you. Take care keep posting. I'm not telling you off you have probably punished yourself enough as it is. EJ.

rooby
23-08-10, 15:48
thankyou EJ
I have an appt on weds with psych dr so I will go through it again with her (if I see the same one). the trouble is I have been going to a psychotherapist for nearly a year and it's been costing me €30 a week which is already half price, but we cannot afford to keep paying it so he is willing to cut the price some more but say's I need to not be on any tablets. I needed time to think through what to do and have asked for advice on this forum and everyone says to take the meds. I really struggled with this one and decided to start the zispin but it made me feel worse and after 5 days my husband was even giving out to me because I was so cross on it, so I stopped it but have been tearful and anxious.

suzy-sue
23-08-10, 16:24
I was in a similar frame of mind Rooby ,I didnt want to take antidepressants .After a long period of trying to manage life without and trying alternatives .I accepted I needed to take them .All these types of medications unfortunately make you feel worse before thay become effective .I tried Mirtazapine and it caused me to feel suicidal .I was then taken off it and was perscribed Citalopram .They caused me to feel worse anxiety wise at first .But have since enabled me to feel depression free . Anxiety/panic wise .I havnt had a panic attack for nearly 2 years and my anx levels for most of the time ,are better than they have been for years .This isnt down to just the medication btw .You need to find how to help yourself ie .Relaxation .Life style changes ,excercise .positive thinking and managing your stress levels ,to be able to cope with the Anxiety after you are med free .You wont always be feeling like this .its just how you feel at this present moment in time .& its not your fault . I wish you all the best in your recovery . t/c luv Sue x:hugs:

rooby
25-08-10, 14:47
Thankyou for your kind words,
I went today to my appt and was given cymbalta and sleeping tablets to help with the dreams. So I am going to give them a go and see, v nervous.

ElizabethJane
26-08-10, 12:06
hi Rooby best wishes with the duloxetine/cymbalta and I hope that you begin to sleep a little better. EJ