PDA

View Full Version : My sweet son!

eeyorelover
20-08-10, 18:50
I've become so worried about my son Danny.
He has always had such a sweet giving nature!
He was raised by a complete hippie pacifist of a Mother (me:) )
And SOMEHOW he thought joining the Marines was a good idea!

Wanted to be in the Marine Corp Band...instead they gave him a machine gun and taught him to drive a tank!
So now he's in Afghanistan for the past 7 months blowing things up and he has internet access once in a while.
He takes pictures via webcam and posts them on FB.

I've watched as every month my son's eyes change!! He looks so sad and his eyes don't have the same sparkle!
Now he posts that he's depressed and he doesn't know why.
He's coming back to the States in about 4 weeks and he says he knows he should be happy but he's just depressed.

Well since I've dealt with depression and anxiety most of his life, it worries me to no end because genetically he already has a predisposition for both and when he first joined the military he ended up in the ER with a panic attack brought on by stress and LOADS of alcohol (he had never drank in his life before he joined the military).

I've seen the stories of the service people who are coming home with PTSD or other issues and it scares me!!!

Everyone is telling me how proud of him I should be because he is fighting for our freedom and it's all I can do to keep from telling them what bullsh!t that is!
I was proud of him just for being Danny! The kid who picked up a guitar and taught himself to play. The only one of my kids who still will hug me and tell me he loves me no matter who is around and loses none of his masculinity by doing so :) My son who writes beautiful songs and sticks to his convictions regardless of whether his peers agree with him!

But will he be the same sweet boy when he returns or has this changed him?
I pray that he finds his way home with his joy and loving nature still in tact!
Prayers and hugs for my son!!!!!!!!
xxx
Sandy

Maj
20-08-10, 18:57
What a difficult experience Danny has had to go through but he sounds such a lovely guy. And yes, you should be so proud of him just for being Danny. He sounds so caring and sensitive, but you sound like a great mum. I'm in no doubt that going through an experience like this will live with him, but I think the fact he has you there for support will be a great help to him. Prayers and hugs to you both:hugs::hugs:

Going home
20-08-10, 19:18
Sandy, I think war changes everyone connected to it in some way, but if he's coming back to a loving family this will help to heal him.

In my thoughts
Anna xxx

KK77
20-08-10, 20:16
I wish you and your son all the best Sandy x

oneofus
20-08-10, 20:22
Sandy,

Because of your son there will be people, men, women and children who will know peace who would not have, women who will be able to wander down the street without fear, girls who will be able attend school and young boys who will be able to look forward to sowing seeds instead of scattering bullets in the future. It may seem hard to believe but that will happen. War is a terrible thing but it can be a power for good in the end.

oneofus

diane07
20-08-10, 20:59
I went through all this myself sandy, when my own son join the army here in the uk.

Depression hit him big time, so i know exactly how you feel, as a mum it is so so difficult to go through too.

I'm here for you mate, and totally understand how you are feeling, pm me anytime you need.

di xxx

Anxious_gal
21-08-10, 00:50
wow you poor thing. all you want to do is protect your son :-(
hope everything works out for both of ye in the end :-)