PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia worse when away from home?

HelenLouise
22-08-10, 10:27
So this weekend I'm in London with my boyfriend and once again my emetophobia has reared it's ugly head! Obviously, I battle with it everyday but for some reason whenever I am away from home, particularly when I haven't eaten a lot it gets worse and makes me feel ill.
Last night I woke up feeling a bit sick and was already in mid panic attack! I was hungry at the same time, which was confusing and I was convinced I was going to be sick! - i wasn't!
Now I am terrified incase I feel sick again and am too scared to eat!
I hate this phobia- if i was home I wouldn't have felt bad and that in it self is beginning to make me not want to leave the house!
It's just annoying - you cab guarrentee that if there is a situation where I am scared my phobia will show up - it Shows up with a vengence
Does anyone elses phobia get worse away from home? Xxx

fairyclairy
22-08-10, 11:09
Yes i get worse when im away from home too.... i think its because our home is our 'safety zone' and if we were sick there, as much as we'd absolutly hate it... i think we'd cope more than we would if we were away from home!

I have had times where iv been out at work all day feeling sooo ill, and the minute i get home i feel fine.. i supose we relax more at home so the feelings are less.

You are doing really well going to london etc, you should be very proud of yourself... iv got to the stage now where i dont stay over at my bf's anymore because i got food poisoning there one night and started being sick during the night... and now, i get in such a state if i try anf stay the night then i end up coming home so i dont even bother now, which i guess is the wrong attitude!

Regarding to the sick and hungry feeling you described.... i get this too! I spoke to my CBT therapist about it and she said when we panic, all the blood goes to parts of the body that needs to help us run away because it thinks we are in danger, so it goes out the stomach, giving us those butterflies, sick, hunger feeling.... so that is normal! And also just shows you that it was panic... because if you were going to be sick or had a bug, you certainly wouldnt be feeling hungry! Eating would be the last thing you'd want to do.

Have a great time and hope iv reassured you alittle, x

HelenLouise
28-08-10, 20:50
Thanks for your reply.
That hunger thing makes sense.
Its just such a horrible feeling - no matter how many times i get it i still panic.
I just wish I could go away from home and not freak out the way I do.
xxx

fairyclairy
28-08-10, 21:03
Me too - this phobia has held me back over the years and i would definitly think twice about going away for the night, when i shouldnt do!

You did really well going away. Im slowly starting to stand up to this... xx

Gemzy
01-09-10, 21:36
mine is always around hun and at the moment just about rules my life but its def worse when im not at home. i hope it didnt spoil london too much?!