PDA

View Full Version : I need help for a train ride to work?

Ambers
22-08-10, 16:51
Hi,

Two weeks ago on my way to work I had a 'panic attack'. I was sitting opposite a girl who looked at me like I was completly mad.

I was shaking uncontrollably, clapping my hands together (fingertips were tiggling), heart racing and my legs felt like jelly. I honestly dont know how I managed to get off the train without falling over. By the time I got to work I was so stressed and upset that I had to go home after a major melt-down in front of my boss (I feel really silly now - but I cant take it back, can I). I haven't been back since and my doctor wrote me off work.

I am due to go back in 2 weeks and I need to prepare for the train ride - I am already fearing and dreading this. I really want to go back to work! If I dont go back it will be another area which has closed down on me!

My train ride is for 20 minutes - stops at 5 stations - I can't use the toilets on the train as that is another problem for me. I tried drinking water and listening to music whilst having my attack so I know that didn't work. I am desparate for advice as I really need to get back on that damn train.

Thank you for reading

shinderuko
22-08-10, 17:15
Try going on the train for one or two stops and see how that goes before you're due back to work.
I have the same anxiety but with buses. I'm due back to college in a couple of weeks and that's over an hour on the bus :ohmy: Not looking forward to it.
I get really nauseous on the bus so use something called Acustrap. They press on acupressure points on your wrists to prevent travel sickness. Maybe that could help?
Good luck on going back to work. And remember, praise yourself for what you have achieved instead of scorning yourself for what you haven't.
:hugs:

Night_Owl
22-08-10, 18:01
Try going on the train for one or two stops and see how that goes before you're due back to work. That's good advice :yesyes:
Ambers you could try as shinderuko suggests have a trial run maybe when the train is likely to be less busy.

How often are the trains? if they're fairly frequent how about going a couple of stops then catching the next train to break the journey.
Another tip is to count down the stations before you know it you'll be down to one and nearly at your destination.

One final suggestion is take a newspaper to read there's normally a crossword or brainteaser in them to keep your mind occupied they're easy to carry and easy to discard when finshed with.

Hope you can work things out I had a similar problem travelling from work on the bus.

Anxious_gal
22-08-10, 19:12
so 5 stops in 20 minutes. so break the trip into 5 pieces.
see you now associate trains with panic, I have the same problem.
get a friend to go on the train with you, do a few practice runs.
the exposure will you get used to the train again.
bring something with you for distraction, or have a pen and paper, write down a list of animals, places, people, things, beginning with A until you get to Z.
it gives your brain something outside yourself to focus on.

Ambers
22-08-10, 19:39
Thank you for all your replys.

I thought about getting on/off train between stops but my train is every 30 minutes...a long wait between each stop!

I am going to do some dummy runs with my husband, beforehand. I think I will be ok with him tho and less so when on my own...

I like the idea of writing a list of A-Z and will try that one:yesyes:

I feel brave.... but it's eating me up inside really.

Flying Badger
23-08-10, 13:00
I often struggle when using the tram, especially when it gets busy (which is most of the time!). I'm lucky in the sense that the trams run at least every 12 minuites, sometimes every 6 minuites, so I can do the 'get off, cool down, clear my head, get back on' routine.

You say the trains are every 30 minuites - do they have anything like a café or coffee shop at any of the intermediate stations? It may take you twice as long to make the journey, but maybe something like getting off the train for a drink may help? Perhaps something that seems menial, like finding out what time a train is due to pass in the oppisite direction, and see if it's on time may provide some welcome distraction.

I'm a total anorak when it comes to the railways, so if you think a distraction may help, I can tell you all sorts of useless things to look out for, count, check whilst on the train!

paulaf
24-08-10, 16:27
Hi i used to have to get 2 buses to work an it took about 1 hour and it caused me so much anxiety so i learned to drive and now although i still get nervous in traffic jams its not as bad as the bus. Can u drive or can someone give u a lift at least on your first day back?

joannap
24-08-10, 16:53
you really need to overcome the fear of having another attack - panic will never come when you are not afraid of it - i would honestly just bite the bullet and get on a train asap for a short journey - even if an attack hits - if you let it sweep through you - you will get though without no one noticing. it is all the "what if" fears that are freaking you out - an attack is just an overflow of energy/adrenalin - nothing more. a few years ago i hated travelling/going away on holiday in case i was ill and literally overnight - i realised how silly it was and how i was letting my fears ruin my life and i am going on a 6 hour train journey tomorrow to scotland for a holiday and actually looking forward to it! once you have done it a few times you will be fine but i literally would get on one tomorrow to kill the build up of fear you are constructing for yourself!

ronski
24-08-10, 18:08
I agree with the last post that messing about with avoidance behaviours is only asking for future problems. Get on the train tomorrow and expect anticipatory anxiety but just go with it, dont tense against it and just let things happen if they must. You are frightened of the fear and that is what drives the panic attack. You feel the first fear which comes from your unconcsious mind and you cannot do anything about that but the second fear that comes from your concious mind is the one that you can control. So here are some pointers that might help.
1) when that first fear strikes you will feel strange but concentrate on the symptoms and sensations and say to yourself well thats interesting my legs feel like jelly and my heart is pounding and I find it hard to breathe but its only adrenaline doing this to me so if I dont react to it and try not to wind things up then there will be no more release of adrenaline and things will get better.
2) Give the panic attack a nickname as personalising it will soften it and your attitude towards it.
3)Take an ipod with you and use calming music.
4)if you dont react nobody will know that you are having a panic attack.

New research is showing that the cause of all panic attacks ia a faulty breathing pattern disorder so try not to hyperventilate and use your upper chest muscles. Use abdominal breathing and as slow as you can around 10-12 breaths a minute and a important piece of advice that is not even understood by a lot of health professionals that when having a panic attack which is the result of a faulty breathing pattern which is normally a chronic hyperventilation syndrome never start taking deep breaths as that just makes things much worse. Take normal size breaths and use cupped hands around your mouth and nose, never use any type of bag not even paper as that is now frowned upon. Cupped hands enable a safe concentration percentage of oxygen as well as stabilising your CO2 levels which will stop the panic attack.

So be brave as that will limit future problems and remember that everybody is prone to panic attacks all it takes is the right set of circumstances to set them off. So do not be afraid of going back to work and facing your boss.