PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Recovery-Advice Needed

anxietyrecovery
22-08-10, 21:17
Hi. I really need some guidance on recovering from anxiety and I have provided background below to my problem.

Background

Started with anxiety 4 months ago out of the blue at work, which started as lightheadedness, vision blurry on computer only and depersonalisation. This really shook me up and things went from there. Went back and forth to doctors until month ago I was diagnosed with GAD and decided to take time off work to attain therapy.

I have been having counselling/hypnotherapy and it has been discovered the sudden death of my friend 2 years (only 23) triggered this and a number of other issues i.e. health anxiety and relationship problems pushed me over the edge.

The last few months have been hell with constant daily anxiety spells causing problems including:

- lightheadedness, tight chest, short of breath, head pressure, forgetfulness, tingling in head, digestive problems etc.

I mostly fear fainting (never happened) and fear I am going to just keel over one day and I am only 27 and healthy! I also have suffered from panic attacks when anxiety gets too much which are horrible.

Progress has been made to date as wouldnt leave house for a week at first, however I need some reassurance that my experience is normal as I struggle in any situation at moment. I can only describe it as anxiety out of nowhere for no rational reason.This is really hard to cope with as I am usually independent and very social!

I am at a junction now where I am considering meds after avoiding just to get some normality back to my life but worried about side effects. What are thoughts on this and experiences?

Finally I am always tired an demotivated at the moment is this normal?

Thanks in advance

mandie
22-08-10, 21:50
Hi

:welcome: to the site.

Sorry to hear you are suffering with this. I have GAD to. Iv had it for 5 years. I went on meds when i first started suffering and they really helped.

Iv been on and off them and at moment im not on any.

Im also having cbt counselling which is supposed to be good for anxiety

having anx and panic certainly tires you out so yes its normal to feel tired.

This site is great, you will find it a great help

love mandie x

Veronica H
23-08-10, 07:45
:welcome:to NMP. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Another book which has really helped me is;

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3.He is a French Buddhist monk and a very accomplished man....here is a link to one of his talks.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ri...happiness.html (http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html)

This will get better. Veronicax

anxietyrecovery
23-08-10, 12:21
Thanks guys

I have read books and these helped but need to seriously consider meds to ease this hell. I have anxiety from when I get up till bed and it's really hard to deal with!