PDA

View Full Version : Just starting Cipralex-any advice?

Gordon64
23-08-10, 18:13
Hi

After a period of 2 months meds free I am having to reluctantly accept I am not coping.

The GP has just prescribed me 10mg Cipralex. I am particularly interested in anybody's thoughts on whether morning or night is the best time to take them? Also (and I know this is largely an individual thing) any side effects I might expect?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Gordon

Deva
23-08-10, 22:54
Hi Gordon. I started Cip about a month ago and I have to say that it's worked wonders for me. However, the side effects aren't pleasant at first: I felt totally wired at times, couldn't relax, felt more than a bit anxious and I've had trouble sleeping. They should subside within a week or two so just ride it out. I was prescribed diazepam to get me through the first few days which worked a treat.

I have to say though that I think that 10mg is quite a high dose to start with - for the first two weeks I halved my tabs and took just 5mg until I got through the side effects. Then I started on 10mg every other day and so on. I think that if you start at 10mg you may find the side effects much much worse - I couldn't hack 10mgs at first at all. However, after I reduced to 5mg I still started to feel better after a couple of weeks so you do get some benefits from just 5mg even though it's not considered to be the therapeutic dose.

Lastly I'd say that once they do kick in they're brilliant. I've tried many ADs before and had long spells on some but they've never made me feel anything more than just ok (which is fine 'cos after all that's all they're supposed to do). But on Cip expect to feel happy not just normal; I've had moments when I've felt euphoric on this drug :shades:. Good luck!

Gordon64
24-08-10, 05:47
Deva

Thanks for your response-I must admit I was thinking about the 5mg to start as I was on Citalopram recently and found 10mg really difficult as a starting off point.

Your post helped me too in as much as I am still staring at the box wondering if I want to go down this path again but the positive results you have had offer me encouragement to do so. And I do have diazepam if need be though I am very careful with it cos of it's addictive nature.

And happy is where I want to be-not just existing-so thanks again for your reply.

Gordon

lalala
24-08-10, 17:37
Hi Gordon

I am about to start Cipralex for the first time too. I am currently coming off sertraline and due to start Cip on Saturday.

I don't have any advice, except I'll be doing the same thing at the same time.

Good luck!

L x

Gordon64
24-08-10, 17:41
Good luck to you too L and thanks for replying

It's a merry go round right enough but here's hoping for progress for both of us

Thanks again

Gordon

Rozzy
26-08-10, 16:39
Hello! I have been on Cipralex for a while and I would suggest you take it in the morning after you've eaten something, ie after breakfast.

There is a chance that it can cause insomnia (at least when you first start it) , and also some people get a bit of indigestion so best not to take it on an empty stomach.

Apart from that, it certainly seems to work well - good luck :yesyes:

lalala
26-08-10, 18:39
How's it going Gordon?

Gordon64
26-08-10, 18:45
Hi

Have done 3 days at 5mg-doc wants me to up that to 10mg as of tomorrow.

Truth is I am wary of this-I have started to talk myself out of anti-depressants cos of past experiences but am in such a low place just now feel I have no option but to see it through.

Anything positive anyone can tell me would be appreciated-and thanks to those who have already replied-Deva I know they seem to be working for you.

And lalala hope you are getting on ok too-what dosage are you starting on?

G

lalala
26-08-10, 18:51
I'm starting straight onto 10mg on Saturday. I have read very good things about Escitalopram. I get scared of meds too, Gordon. It's best to avoid Google I find. :)

Gordon64
26-08-10, 20:28
Hi lalala

I think you are right-it is going onto these damn sites which has got me so worked up in the first place:ohmy::)

For what it's worth the side effects so far are pretty much as expected (admittedly on only 5mg)-slight headache, heavy feeling in legs, and lack of appetite. But I haven't grown horns or started howling at the moon yet!! And on a positive note after 2 days of picking at my food I have just had a full tea at last. So maybe things are looking up!

It's true that too much knowledge is a dangerous thing-back in the 90's when Prozac came out I used it unquestioningly because we all believed it's reputation as a "wonder-drug". And it doesn't do any harm to be more aware of these drugs now (up to a point). But if it can lift us out of the dark place we are in just now and help us look at the aspects of our lives that need addressing then maybe it's worthwhile.

Anyway all the best L -I'll be thinking of you.

G

Deva
27-08-10, 11:27
It will lift you out of a dark place. Trust me. I'm going back to work in a couple of weeks - and I'm looking forward to it. Before I started Cip I was anxious being out of my house. It's given me my life back; the stability to really explore why I suffered debilitating anxiety in the first place.

Before I took this drug I felt like I was looking into the jaws of hell. Now I feel happy and full of hope.

Stick with it because it's worth it. And if it doesn't work for you keep trying until you find another AD that does. You can't hope to recover from this illness whilst you are in the depths of despair because in that state you're frightened of doing anything that might make you sink lower and your mind can't contemplate that. You won't sink lower now you are taking medication; the only way is up. When you are well enough to take a shower or wash the dishes without being exhausted or go to sleep without the fear of what you will experience when you wake up then you can tackle your demons. When you are being buffeted about by the winds of anxiety or depression you just need to ride out the storm until the drugs give you the calmness and serenity to reflect on what's happened and to make some decisions about how you will best recover further and how to prevent it happening again.

You've made a decision to take Cipralex and making a decision when you're depressed is a very hard thing to do. Trust your instincts and stick with it - constantly changing your mind is exhausting and leads you to doubt your own innate wisdom about the choices you have made. This then compounds your depression with low self-esteem. And on and on it goes. Give yourself a break and the permission to stop questioning your decision.

Now you're taking meds you will get better and the future will look a lot better than it does right now.

Wishing you peace, Deva

Gordon64
27-08-10, 17:32
Thanks Deva

I know you are right-I do believe the only way is up now-it is a living Hell at present but constantly over-analysing my decision to go back on meds isn't helping-and though I find this site wonderful I am no longer going to look at the "horror stories" about this or any other medication-the fact is I am as low as I can go right now so need to do everything I can to pick myself up-and I will try to retain your words in my mind-that it has lifted you out of what seems a fairly similar dark place to where I am now. And I AM exhausted-though some of that is probably self-inflicted.

One thing I HAVE noticed is that taking them at breakfast or lunchtime might not be the best idea-I am so fuzzy and out of it now (5.15pm) that I think maybe night time might be best-but I suppose it's trial and error.

Thanks again Deva-am glad you are getting there and hope that I can do the same soon.

Gordon

Deva
27-08-10, 22:23
Be kind to yourself Gordon, you will get better. You aren't alone; on here we understand your suffering.

As an aside: I forgot to take my meds the other day and my 10yr daughter surprised me by saying 'take your pill Mum - don't get ill again'. You can't argue with that!

Gordon64
28-08-10, 11:12
Hi Deva

Thanks for your words of comfort-they mean a lot to me. And I am going to stick with the Cipralex-for me and my children's sake.

At the moment my mind just feels numb-completely emotionless-no joy in life at all. I know this is common but this is as deep as it's been for me in my fairly long history of depression.

Can I ask one thing Deva? I am NOT getting paranoid about the pills again-and am keeping away from Google!- but insomnia is a real problem for me at the moment-waking at 4 unable to get back to sleep. I know Cipralex doesn't always help with that-can you tell me if your sleep pattern settled down once the tablets began to kick in? Between that and little appetite it is not helping my recovery, although I know these things are part of the nature of depression anyway. And I am definitely considering taking it in the evening as taking it during the day just left me feeling really weird.

Thanks for caring Deva-I do appreciate it.

Gordon

lalala
28-08-10, 13:05
Hi Gordon,

I took my first 10mg today. I don't feel anything so far, except I have a bad headache.

I haven't had Cipralex before but I have had other SSRIs and I have always had the 4am waking/zero appetite thing for the first couple of weeks and it's always settled down gradually. I think the best thing was just to accept that I would be waking up early for a couple of weeks and go with it. I used to get up and read a book.

Look after yourself,

L xx

Deva
28-08-10, 13:31
Hi again Gordon. Yes I had insomnia for the first week or so and at one point I got really low (again) about it and I sat crying with my therapist as I felt it presented just another mountain to climb. However, it passed and now I sleep well. Sometimes I wake around 3 or 4 am but I soon drift back. If I don't, I get up make my self a camomile tea and then go back to bed. And I'm soon in the land of nod again. It's about acceptance, I think, and finding solutions that work. As soon as I accepted that I might not be sleeping very well as a side effect of the meds I stopped stressing about it and then I started to sleep. The mind is a very strange thing isn't it?

I also meditate which is a very very effective way to quieten the mind.

Best wishes, Deva

lalala
28-08-10, 22:43
I meditate too, Deva. I have found mindfulness, in particular, really good for helping with the acceptance.

Deva
30-08-10, 20:49
Hey lalala hope Cipralex is going well for you. Glad to hear you also find meditation helpful.

Best wishes, Deva