PDA

View Full Version : Zen

slaine
30-07-03, 08:01
Hi All,

this is my first post,so be gentle. i suffer from PA for over a year anyway, my wife was reading a magazine and in the doctors help page thing , someone was suffering from PA, and the Doc replied amongst other things to use a product called Zen, now i have been to holland and barrett and a couple of other places and search the net to no avail, has anyone ever heard of this and if so where can i get it

thanx inadvance
Slaine

Meg
30-07-03, 08:41
Hi Slaine,

I wonder whether this is what she saw.. which is essentially just GABA - well used herb.

You might also want to check out the GABA page on
www.sjwinfo.org

[b][b]200 mg of Zen (GABA - Theanine)

Available in bottles of 60 vegetarian capsules

How Your Patients May Benefit from 200 mg of Zen, dietary supplement:
Maintains healthy emotional status
Helps support a feeling of general relaxation without sedation
Promotes effective resistance to adverse moods induced by hormonal changes

Description

200 mg of Zen dietary supplement from Allergy Research Group® contains a significant quantity of both gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and theanine (glutamic acid gamma-ethylamide), an amino acid derivative found naturally in green tea (Camellia sinensis).

200 mg of Zen provides a source of dietary ingredients that may provide stabilization of mood and a feeling of alert relaxation.

Research has shown that dietary components can modulate our body's levels of neurotransmitters, e.g. serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Alterations in the levels of these neurotransmitters, perhaps induced by metabolic stress or vitamin deficiencies, e.g. vitamin B6, can significantly influence mood and emotional status, as well as motor function.

GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and is active at 20% of CNS synapses. As an inhibitory mediator in the brain, GABA, via its neuronal A receptor, inhibits neurons by causing an influx of chloride ions. The anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, and sedative effects of the benzodiazepines, e.g. Librium and Valium, rely upon the facilitation of this chloride influx initiated by GABA. There is evidence that anxiety and panic disorders are associated with excessive neuronal activity consequent to a decrease in GABA's function as an inhibitory mediator. The adverse psychological signs associated with premenstrual syndrome may be due to a dysregulated sensitivity of GABA receptors. Studies with oral administration of sodium valproate (an enhancer of endogenous GABA activity) and the muscle relaxant Baclofen (an agonist of the GABA B receptor) demonstrate their ability to stimulate increased HGH levels.

Theanine (glutamic acid gamma-ethylamide) an amino acid derivative found naturally in tea (Camellia sinensis) is also recognized as having calming properties. Human studies have demonstrated that dietary theanine supplementation increases alpha wave activity, fostering a state of alert relaxation. Animal studies have also shown that administration of theanine regulates brain serotonin concentration by affecting either serotonin synthesis or degradation in the brain. It has been hypothesized that serotonin facilitates general and conditioned anxiety at the level of medial temporal lobe structures.

Although the calming effect of this tea component may seem contradictory to the stimulatory properties of tea's caffeine content, research suggests that theanine exerts an antagonistic effect on caffeine's stimulatory action.

Each (1) capsule contains: 275 mg GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid)
100 mg L-theanine
Other ingredients: Silicon dioxide, carbowax
Suggested use: As a dietary supplement, 1 to 2 capsules daily, between meals, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
Warning: Contraindicated with drugs or use only under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner.

I hope that helps..:D

clairey
01-08-03, 13:07
i have found just one place where they sell Zen in the uk. Its at a place called the nutrition clinic and it is in Devon. Call them on 01626 364 722.
Ask for zen they will know what you want.It contains L-theanine and gaba.

If you only want to take L-theanine for any reason you can get it at the herbal factory at www.herbalfactory.co.uk or .com one of the 2 endings, try them both!!
claire
let me know if you get it ok

cmitchell

nikk
24-03-04, 17:04
Hi I'm new to this forum - just a quick reply:

A really good source of info on alternative health vitamins etc is a site called

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/

And a brilliant on line store where you can buy Zen - and other supplements such as 5HTP, GABA,Theanine etc is:

http://www.nutricentre.com/

They are really reliable and only take a couple of days to deliver - and are part of Tesco's. They sell high quality brands and not like other dodgy rip off sites you come across on the Net.

Cheers

Nick

Meg
24-03-04, 17:23
Thanks for this Nick.

Meg

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

pauline
13-04-04, 13:40
Hi All

I'm glab i came on today, lately when i try to come it takes for ever to load so i have given up. I have tryed Zen they were mentioned in Now magazine on there health page. So i thought what have i got to lose, of course me being me gave myself a panic attack just by taking something new. On reflection i think they did help i only took the one bottle, but of course i lost where i had ordered them from and i did a search and could find nowhere where i could order them from. Came on today and there is the number that i need to order them from. Thanks so much.

Pauline

nomorepanic
13-04-04, 20:31
Pauline

The message forum was down for 2 days over easter which is why you couldn't get in.

Glad you found the info that you needed to re-order Zen - let us know how it goes ok?

Nicola

pauline
14-04-04, 20:15
Nicole

I have ordered it will let you know how i get on with it.

Pauline