PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations - need reassurance

uk23
23-08-10, 22:42
Hello,

I suddenly starting worrying about palps recently, I am 23 and have had them since I was about 13, I never took any notice of them before but now I keep thinking 'i've had them for 10 years, something must be wrong now'. I sometimes have pain, like a sharp shooting pain which mostly lasts for a few seconds. Sometimes I can feel these if my hand is on my chest, like a beat that jumps out of my chest for a second - is this a palpitation?

Is this just anxiety or should I be worried?

My girlfriend keeps saying that they are just sensations and since I started self harming and was diagnosed with clinical depression at 12 its just anxiety, nothing else, but I cant stop worrying about them.

They seem to just happen whenever, if im watching tv, playing a game, eating, exercising - anything at random times :(

crazyhayz
23-08-10, 22:47
Most probably anxiety, as you sound like you've been under alot of difficult times in the past, so try not to worry, but i always say what harm can a visit to the doctors do? Ask if you can have an ECG to put your mind at rest! A decent doctor shouldnt refuse! I think anyone who suffers from palps would be good to get ECG, its a 30 second harmless test that costs the nhs next to nothing, so why not? U just need to convince the doctors as they are lazy when it comes to referrals lol.