PDA

View Full Version : Dentist fear anyone else?

Cat80
24-08-10, 12:10
I have never been to a dentist in my whole life. I have a massive phobia of dentists (because of the anxiety) and needles (it's the pain). I seriously need my teeth fixing though. My 2 front teeth have large cavities and it is seriously effecting my confidence. I won't smile or eat when out in public and always walk around with my mouth closed. I am seriously terrified of the dentists because of my anxiety and the fact I can't stand the thought of needles going into the gum. My sister has just been and says it's a terrible pain and I said don't they numb the gum with cream first and she was like no don't be silly.

I thought maybe they did that for nervous patients but obviously not. I just don't know what to do, my confidence is low and I know my teeth need filling (if they can be as they are quite bad). Just wish I wasn't such a wimp and didn't have the dreaded anxiety and phobia :weep:

Ddcoo
24-08-10, 13:14
Hi Cat, I know this is an awful time for you, but please speak to yourdentist before the treatment, there are many more people like you who are afraid of dentists and needles. I don't particularly enjoy going to the dentist either but I promise you that todays methods are much better and painless than when I was little. I have not had pain from an injection during the last 20 years. If you really can't stand a needle then most dentists would arrange for you to have sedation. It will be well worth the visit when your teeth look perfect and your confidence is restored. Do let us know how you get on.:yesyes:

Cat80
24-08-10, 14:05
Thanks Ddcoo. I don't have a dentist at the moment but have just contacted one to see if I can register, it says they will get back to you within 72 hours with a date to come in just for a talk about treatment. Also says they deal with nervous patients which is good.

I don't want sedation, I just don't want to feel pain while there. That's the part that scares me

GlasgowGuy
24-08-10, 14:17
It's a common fear and a common one amongst anxiety sufferers. I've never had an out and out fear of them but just don't like going if that makes sense. Heard of someone who used hypnotherapy to overcome their fear of the dentist. Whether you can get through the NHS or go private I'm not sure.

Best of luck.

jude uk
24-08-10, 15:34
I was someone that hated the dentist but they are so good now and so understanding with people like me who have a phobia about them. Let them know how you feel and they will put you at ease and do everything in their power to make the visit easier for you

Cat80
25-08-10, 11:24
Thank you so much everyone.

I guess with me it's the needles and the pain from them that scares me. Does the numbing gel work? I am a wuss with needles. I had a blood test last week and was a nervous wreck

blueangel
25-08-10, 14:29
Like some of the others, I used to have terrible problems with the dentist and didn't go as a result of some really bad experiences I had when I was a child. I had some help from a counsellor, who was really good, and also found my current dentist through personal recommendations. He is really excellent and always seems to work very quickly, so even if something is going to be unpleasant, it's over very quickly.

Good luck - if I can do it, anyone can!

Cat80
25-08-10, 18:09
Thank you blue angel. Have found some help on a dentist phobia website who have said an injection shouldn't hurt at all if done correctly so I will be asking for numbing gel and them to do it slowly. I am such a wuss with needles and the anxiety doesn't help either

ditzygirl
25-08-10, 19:05
Poor u - I am exactly the same, I had to go to the dentist earlier this year and I was completely honest with them and told them my anxiety issues. The staff couldn't have been kinder. Get a kind friend to go with you and take some Rescue Remedy too - it won't be as bad as you think - honest!!!!! Good luck xxx

Cat80
26-08-10, 13:11
Thank you ditzygirl, so pleased you managed to go. Everyone has been telling me with the numbing the injections don't hurt at all so hopefully that is true, that's the main thing that bothers me

Under~The~Stars
26-08-10, 19:27
Hey Cat,

I am the same as you! I have a massive fear of dentists. But you are doing the right things. Registering with a dentist is the first step, so well done :) Is there someone who can go with you for your appointment? I have a lovely dentist, who is very understanding and knows how anxious I get when I see him. Just explain when you see the dentist how nervous you are and they will do their best to put you at ease :) I used to get a gel that they rub on your gum to numb the area, and so you don't feel the jag... Ask for that when you go. It makes a difference :) It really is nothing to be scared of. You'll feel so much better after you've been.

:hugs:

KevsHoping
27-08-10, 16:08
Cat

Thanks for starting this thread. I have learned a great deal from it. As I type I am suffering from my "latest" tooth-ache. Last time I went to the dentist was 28 years ago due to absolute dread. The ironic thing is, as my teeth have slowly started falling out/to bits, I guess I have suffered 1000 times as much pain as I would have done had I visited regularly?

My main issue (apart from anxiety) is memories of my dentist when I was a child - as BlueAngel points out. Hope it all works out.

Thanks Under The Stars for your advice too. I am thinking about trying this now.

Under~The~Stars
31-08-10, 00:02
You're very welcome, KevsHoping :)

Good Luck to you. Let us know how you get on.

:hugs: