PDA

View Full Version : Terrified - sunbeds/solariums and Melanoma

SamanthaAU
25-08-10, 11:36
Hi,

I haven't needed to use this forum for a good few months, I have been able to control my HA fairly well.

Yesterday a friend of mine shared a link on Facebook about the reports showing that people that have used sunbeds/solariums have a MUCH higher risk of melanoma's then normal.

I think the risk goes up by 98% if you have used them before the age of 30 which, unfortunately I have :(

I used a sunbed appx 10 times nearly 10 years ago over the course of around 12 months. If only I realised the stupidity of it back then I would never have done it.

So now I am convinced that I am going to die of a melanoma - that its unavoidable. I used a sunbed, so I AM going to pay the ultimate consequence :lac:

I have a mole on the back of one leg, and it feels sore and itchy (though I don't know if that is my mind or not). I have made an appt for the skin cancer clinic for a checkup but thats not for 2 weeks.

But even if I get the all clear then, this is going to be hanging over my head for the rest of my life. I am only 32 and have 3 small kids under 5 - what have I done???:weep:

Sarahlouz
25-08-10, 13:51
Hi Sam

I really symphathise. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about a mole that I have on my back. I am currently waiting for my appointment at the skin tumours clinic in two weeks (scary!) after the doc referred me. They said they don't think it's melanoma but I can't help worrying as it has grown over the years and from what I've read that's not normal and just saw it again whilst trying something on in a shop and look like it's grown more.

I have never used a sunbed but I have been on a lot of hot holidays where i have laid in the sun for 2 weeks solid from morning til night feeling like a tan was the most important thing in the world so like you I feel I have caused it myself and will never sunbathe like that again!

Just hope everything ok for both of us

SamanthaAU
25-08-10, 23:40
Thanks for the reply - wishing you all the best.

This fear for me is a new kind. Normally I am worried about something that I think I have now - where this is going to be a constant worry for me now for the rest of my life :(

nomorepanic
25-08-10, 23:43
Using a sunbed 10 times in a year is not classed as high sunbed use.

They are talking about people that go several times a week at least.

You will be fine.

SamanthaAU
26-08-10, 00:28
Thanks Nicola for your reply. Though the reports I have found all state anyone with 10+ uses ever have an increased risk of 98%. Wish it wasn't though.

nomorepanic
26-08-10, 00:32
I think after 10 years you would have had problems by now so don't worry ok.

You are more at risk if you sit in the sun as well which I never do!

SamanthaAU
27-08-10, 14:29
Thanks for your reassurance Nicola - I hope you are right :)