PDA

View Full Version : GAD Sufferer - Glimmer of Hope Needed

anxietyrecovery
25-08-10, 11:46
Hi all.

This is going to be my last post for a while, however I just wanted some hope that I can get over this hell. I have had GAD now for few months but only been accepting of it for a month after tests.

I just wanted to hear that people get better from this as I constantly feel rubbish and have so many symptoms its crazy. These always flare up when I am out or alone and I just dont know which way to turn next.

As stated before not on meds, however could this be the turning point for me if I accept them?

Thanks in advance

GlasgowGuy
25-08-10, 13:30
Well worth a chat with your GP. Discuss your considering medication and discuss options and also maybe get the ball rolling early with get your name down with NHS for possible CBT Therapy.

andrew
25-08-10, 15:31
Hi anxietyrecovery,

I had g.a.d. before, I haven't got it anymore. You can recover, dont lose hope. That was also med free.

Acceptance is an important part of recovery, although it does seem to mean different things to different ppl. I thought recovery went something like identify, accept, deal with. Have you done the identify bit. Do get yourself some kind of talking therapy if you're not already doing so.

Take care

anxietyrecovery
25-08-10, 16:21
andrew

please can you provide me with further info on your recovery plan?

I am currently having talking therapy sessions which help but still struggling.

Cheers

andrew
25-08-10, 23:23
Hi again,

Its not my recovery plan, I read it in a book by Dr claire weekes or susan jeffers, I cant remember which one. I think that you do need to have a good understanding of whats going on with you before you can accept it. Otherwise in a months time you'll just be thinking that acceptance doesn't work. You know this is gonna take as long as it takes. Anxiety can be a real struggle, stay in the fight you'll get there in the end.

Take care

anxietyrecovery
25-08-10, 23:27
Anymore advice or reassurance??

nomorepanic
26-08-10, 00:27
Keep fighting, keep going, JFDI (just flipping do it), relaxation, good diet, therapy, talk to people, read books - all of these help me.

crazyhayz
26-08-10, 00:53
I am now in recovery since suffering with GAD since january. After 12 sessions of CBT therapy, also group therapy, and my saviour Citalopram meds :) Yes, the guy above is correct. Acceptance is the key to recovery. Once u have accepted you have this and its not guna just disappear, you will start to move on from it, and symptoms will come less and less. On particularly stressful days, or days where im very tired, i get a couple of symptoms but it would give me a huge panic attack before, where as it doesnt now. I know that GAD/depression/anxiety runs in my family on my mothers side, so its something i just have to deal with, and have had to deal with. Once GAD is there, its there, everyones brains are different, its all to do with the neuortransmitters and if they are 'out of sync' so to speak, which can happen at any time to anyone. You will get better as i am living proof. Take care

mynameis
27-08-10, 10:06
My own recovery was very stop-start, I must admit. However, I've been medication free & anxiety free since, well, when I last posted here I guess. As people have already said, acceptance 1st of all is key. Once you realise you have a problem, then you can move on to the next step. Talking to someone is very important. Not a counsellor by any means (I personally felt ripped off) nor CBT, just either a loved one or a good friend. Basically someone who will understand. When I say talk, I mean talk about anything and everything that's on your mind, no matter how silly you may feel. Shame is usually the biggest obstacle to moving on, and by realising that millions around the world have gone through the exact same feelings you are experiencing, it should help alleviate those feelings (if you have any) of shame. As I've mentioned in other posts, I kept a diary. It may sound ridiculous, but logging how I felt on a regular basis made the highs all the more potent. I didn't notice a pattern forming at first, but I did eventually correspond the missing entries to the times I didn't feel the need to vent my spleen (I was a bit slow on the uptake, but I got there in the end !). What happened next is that I discovered my `diary' by accident over a year after my last entry, and it was good to see just how far I'd come. Everybody's different of course, but it was a big weight off my shoulders just to realise that I wasn't alone. Some people may be alone in that they have nobody close, but a forum like this is invaluable in showing anybody that they do in fact have a shoulder to cry on. Good luck in your recovery, there most certainly is light at the end of the tunnel.:)

Nigel H
27-08-10, 14:23
Read this link in regard to Time Line Therapy which is highly effective and gives real, tangible results. I was fortunate to have trained in this before having an accident and related PTSD - so once physically healed [despite losing 70% of the use of my right arm] I knew where to go to overcome the associated mental scars.

http://www.timelinetherapy.net/anxiety.html

http://www.timelinetherapy.net/

It's not my site, rather that of the originator of TLT, Dr Tad James. I hope that anyone who has such a condition can find a way to resolve it and anything I can offer in way of help will hopefully lead some to get the right help and so leave that old problem behind them.

Nig