PDA

View Full Version : The symptoms page

MidnightCalm
25-08-10, 13:34
For almost all of the symptoms it says that they'll reduce or subside once the nervous system gets sufficient rest... How do we rest it? I don't sleep well, find it hard to relax, constantly worrying about one sensation until a new one pops up and have lost interest in the things I used to enjoy etc. So how do we rest it? Is it possible?
Thanks x

MidnightCalm
25-08-10, 19:01
Any ideas?:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

angels22165
25-08-10, 19:03
Hi, Im not too sure on this one, only thing I can think of is rest and try not to dwell on the symptoms, let them pass don't fight them try and stay with them, easier said than done though, I would like to hear further replies to your question.:)

uk23
25-08-10, 19:24
One thing to get some rest is to do the things you enjoy doing by pretending you are an actor, i know how stupid this sounds but its about enforcing new routines for anxiety. So for example i like computer games, however i have list interest in them so i have to force myself to play them.

If you like cooking then force yourself to make a cake, also remember which foods to cut out.

My anxiety is made worse by:

Alcohol (dont drink it anymore at all)
Caffeine (only have very small amounts)
Too much/little sugar
etc

If you can find a tai chi video, i know again this sounds stupid but if you force yourself to do it it really can relax you. I dont understand it and at first I was highly skeptical (come from a science background) but I forced myself to do it for a week and my level of anxiety dropped about 50%.

GlasgowGuy
25-08-10, 20:49
Chamomeille Tea
Relaxation tapes
Bath
Read

Easier said than done again.

Rachel_123
25-08-10, 21:02
i find i can escape most of my symptoms by switching my brain from the "thinking" part to the "doing" part.

by this i mean, physically doing something ie. knitting, going for a walk, taking a shower/bath.

i find doing total body relaxation ( i tense parts of my body and release ) while clearing my mind helps alot. you'll find it hard to begin with, but it gets easier and easier.

music is fantastic. concentrate on the music , get lost in it and all symptoms slip away.

finally, allowing yourself to feel the symptoms actually decrease them because your allowing your self to accept what is happening instead of fighting feelings :)