PDA

View Full Version : Will it always be this way?

SarahG
25-08-10, 13:37
I started having serious panic attacks and constant anxiety at the beginning of the year (I have had anxious episodes lasting a few months or more twice before over a 20 year period but have been medicated and picked myself back up). Long story short: In April I was put on Sertraline and Pregabalin and have had my NHS 7 counselling sessions. I just wonder how everyone else gets by in life - I still feel a constant underlying anxiety and get upset and uptight about anything out of routine or unusual.

For example, I was asked to be a godmother last weekend and spent the month building up to it going through what might happen and how I would probably let everyone down. By the time the christening arrived, I was at breaking point and nearly didn't go. The night before I was being sick, shaking and crying. However, when I did force myself to go (only because I didn't want to let my best friend down), everything was fine and I did my bit without any problem.

Will this constant anxiety always be with me and will I learn to live with it or should I go back to the doctor to change my meds? I am very scared about changing meds as I've felt so awful when doing this in the past. Also, I definitely CANNOT have any more time off work and I know the side effects of a change can be horrendous.

Vixxy
25-08-10, 14:20
Youve learnt a really important lesson. The anticipation of the event is far worse than the actual event! you had awful anxiety and yet YOU STILL DID IT! You should feel so happy with yourself for doing this.
Using this as an example you should try to do more things that scare you. Eventually the anxiety will be so low that one day you can forget about it even being there.
you can move forward :)

LoveMusic
25-08-10, 17:50
I feel like this, like I am just lurching from one anxious event to another. Also, that I will just be this way forever.

But I try to think that I can cope, I am stronger than I think and that my panic is telling me lies.

Under~The~Stars
26-08-10, 19:07
Hey Sarah,

That's a question that I want to say "no it won't always be this way". And deep down I do believe that... Sometimes it may seem that things will never get better. But things do get easier. We may not be where we want to be right now, and feel there's still a lot of work to be done. But that work can be done... Small steps :) Try and hold onto the fact that if you try to get better and want to get better. Then you will :)

heavenly
27-08-10, 11:45
I started having serious panic attacks and constant anxiety at the beginning of the year (I have had anxious episodes lasting a few months or more twice before over a 20 year period but have been medicated and picked myself back up). Long story short: In April I was put on Sertraline and Pregabalin and have had my NHS 7 counselling sessions. I just wonder how everyone else gets by in life - I still feel a constant underlying anxiety and get upset and uptight about anything out of routine or unusual.

For example, I was asked to be a godmother last weekend and spent the month building up to it going through what might happen and how I would probably let everyone down. By the time the christening arrived, I was at breaking point and nearly didn't go. The night before I was being sick, shaking and crying. However, when I did force myself to go (only because I didn't want to let my best friend down), everything was fine and I did my bit without any problem.

Will this constant anxiety always be with me and will I learn to live with it or should I go back to the doctor to change my meds? I am very scared about changing meds as I've felt so awful when doing this in the past. Also, I definitely CANNOT have any more time off work and I know the side effects of a change can be horrendous.

Well first of all, huge pat on the back for attending that christening, that is a massive positive thing you did there,:hugs: and as said, it is the anticipation not the actual event that gets us, isn't it! So annoying. I can't advise you on changing meds, but do go back to your GP and have a chat with him/her, see what they say.

I think its about baby steps, I had the odd tiny anxiety attack over the last few years, thought nothing of it, then a couple of weeks ago had a 48 hr one, never been so terrified. So I got myself (don't know how), down to the hospital, then to see my GP, then found a Counsellor. Am on meds that are working, am starting to delve into why this has happened to me, and I make myself go for mega long walks every day (fresh air and exercise so important), and I start back to work on Tues, (been off 2 weeks since it happened), so really nervous about that, but keep telling myself, 'you like your job, its part time, it will keep your brain active.' Grrr, so annoying isn't it, what is perfectly normal to someone else, is like climbing Mt Everest! :ohmy: But, I will get there, I know I will, and I have every faith in you, Sarah, just don't be hard on yourself.

So baby steps, and write down at the end of each day, what you have achieved, no matter how small it may seem. It really helps when I look at that list. Look after yourself. xxx