PDA

View Full Version : Hello - ramblings from another new member.

tag
25-08-10, 13:41
Hiya,

Just signed up as I'm really starting to despair at my continual anxiety & permanent health worries.

I've always been a hospital-phobe and would often worry even as a late teen about aches & pains & whether they might be something like appendicitis (if in my stomach region) or something nasty in my head if I had a headache.

Then in my early 20s a close friend who I'd known throughout school died of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma after a long & drawn out period of treatment during which he was in remission only for the cancer to spread.

He was the same age as me - 21 - and I think his death affected me adversely from then on.

I'm now just shy of 40, married & with a lovely son but permanently lurching from one (generally-imagined) medical crisis to the next which is almost destroying my quality of life.

My GP must absolutely dread my appearance at his surgery door & I can only imagine that my employer is becoming increasingly fed up with short notice doctors visits.

I regularly see a counsellor & have done for the last 3 years.

He's great at being a sounding board and I appreciate what he does for me immensely but I find it difficult sometimes to get accross what is going on for me - it's as if unless you've experienced this, you can't quite grasp how it feels..

I've had CBT on and off over the years too & am now on a long waiting list to see somebody again.

Meanwhile I continually over-analyse every single twitch, bump, cough & ache firmly believing each to be the symptom of cancer which I've dreaded for ages, and becoming ever more fearful that my long-suffering and adored wife is finally going to have had enough of my problems.

I haven't helped myself by being a smoker until the beginning of the year (thank God I did stop eventually) so each illness is therefore automatically my own fault due to the damage I've done - QED. :weep:

Anyway - I thought I'd try & do something positive on the Internet rather than just poring over the symptoms on hundreds of medical websites & scaring myself stupid & so, here I am.

I very much hope that this will at least be a start to putting this all behind me & look forward to chatting with others who find themselves in a similar predicament.

Best wishes,

'Tag'

diane07
25-08-10, 13:45
Hi tag

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

tag
25-08-10, 13:54
Hi tag

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Thank you.

I've just read the Health Anxiety article (dealing with Hypochodria) and it was so pertinent as to almost have me in tears.

T

Vanilla Sky
25-08-10, 20:57
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

tag
26-08-10, 10:28
Thanks Paige - I am so glad I found this place - at last I have somewhere positive to visit on the Internet other than Dr Google..

maxfactor
26-08-10, 23:51
Glad you found this site so you wont obscess about illness.
The internet can surely drive you crazy,
Why not go shopping instead! join a college and create some hobbies.
you may be focussing on illness as distraction to other things worrying you in your life,think about it.
good luck Its not healthy ;) X