PDA

View Full Version : XANOR, benzodiazeoin to stop the panic

NOFEAR
27-02-04, 16:29
I'm on xanor( a benzo) and have been for the last four months to treat my panic attacks and obsessive ideas. I does work but I need to increase the dose all the time to get a full anti-anxiety effect.
Now I take four pills per day which is way to much...And when I try to cut back...BANG...Here comes mister panic to torture me again.

I can't get anything done unless I'm on some sort of medications. Without medication I'm mostly house-bound.[xx(]

Let us stop the panic

twister
29-02-04, 18:22
Why don't you try asking your doctor about anti-deps? They have helped a lot of people on here and are not addictive.

You shouldnt really take benzo's for more than a 4 week period as they are habit forming and coming off of them can be very hard. Also as you are starting to find out they become less effective and eventually arent effective at all and actually induce panic.

Dont worry though, go and discuss this with your doctor and I'm sure you can find something to help you whether it be CBT or meds.

Good luck

Emily

nomorepanic
29-02-04, 20:32
NOFEAR

Are you relying on medication to get you through life cos you say "I can't get anything done unless I'm on some sort of medications. Without medication I'm mostly house-bound"

Medication is a short term fix and you also need to address the bigger issues in your life and get some help like counselling maybe? Have you considered it?

Nicola

stimpy
02-03-04, 11:07
This is a common problem with "nice meds" that make you calm down and chill you out.

They work so well, so you take them, and the more you take, the less they work, so you take more for the same effect.

I would definately discuss this with your doctor, as taking too many for the same effect you used to get from 1 or 2 can be dangerous.

My friend Dave the CPN tells me you can get the same effect from deep meditation and relaxation. I've tried it and it works!
May be give that a go instead and try reducing the meds by taking them only when you really really really have to take them because you are losing control and having the "screaming hab-dabs".

I was a sofa loving panic monster for 6 long months (as the other members will tell you.) In that time I couldn't do anything, and lost 4 stone as a result of it. (Good job I was a bit beefy and could afford to loose it!)

You can do things without the medication, it is hard work, nasty, uncomforable and very exhausting. But trust me it can be done.

Small steps.. wash the dishes, clean the floor - rest for the rest of the day. Build up from there.
Walk to the front door - rest for the rest of the day. Build up from there.

Eventually things will become second nature and you will be able to do them with no help and no medication at all.

I have to agree with Nic, counselling and finding other ways to relax rather than using the pills, is the best way to go.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

ali786
29-03-04, 22:44
Hi there,
Did you try Paxil (Seroxat)? This will not addict you and the anxiety and panic disorder will go after few days.
Best of luck.
Bye

Panikki
30-03-04, 08:40
Just a short note, The real key to getting over panic lies within our own minds..theres no medicine that can 'cure' us, all they do is mask the symtoms and are maybe helpful for short term break from really severe panic. The main problem many of us have when suffering from bad panics is that it's hard to control whats going on in our minds as we're bombarded with catastrophic thoughts wizzing through our brains there's no room for reasoning...but it can be done, I myself cannot control my panics ..i have turned to meds and wanted to tell you that dont rely on anothers good/bad experience with a particular drug as we are all different...That last post regarding seroxat...yes it works well for many ..but can also destroy many especially when trying to get off it ..I'm still suffering horrendously after a year weaning myself off it!! Keep an open mind whatever you do....
I hope things improve soon for you ...lots of luv Jodie xx

J Baker