PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a cure for my panic

deon
26-08-10, 13:53
Hi there. I've been having pretty severe panic attacks for two years or so. Some of the symptoms I have are sharp chest pains, pain in the neck and arm, just like a heart attack ( I also happen to have a heart attack phobia!). These chest pains are with me 24/7 although not always so intense.

So two weeks ago I injured my back, agony but the panic attacks stopped. I guess that was because the chest pains had stopped. I guess my brain was too busy dealing with real pain to make up psychosomatic ones. So , no chest pain, no fear, no panic. Absolute bliss! Although now the back pain is wearing off, a week or so without the chest pain proved to me that there was really nothing wrong with my heart. Ive had a couple of stressful episodes since then, but no severe chest pain ( one twinge and some tension, but nothing like it used to be). I've have had a couple of 'moments' as if a panic attack was coming, but it went within a few seconds.

could this be the cure? could prolonged pain distract the brain long enough to prove that the chest pains were fake. I hope it never comes back, but if it does at least I'll know its not real. The absence of chest pain is marvelous, but best of all is the absence of that deep terror.

I guess you never know your luck :)

Veronica H
04-09-10, 12:28
:yesyes:panic is really fear of fear. Every cloud has a silver lining as they say, and at least you gained some insight into the fact that you can break this cycle. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Vx

scaredycatx
04-09-10, 14:05
Wow doesn't that show the power of the mind! Long may your chest pains disappear :)

Ails:-)
04-09-10, 14:24
Wow that sounds good and glad that has wrked 4 u!

I hope ur chest pains don't come back but if they ever do at lst u know how 2 deal with them.

Ails :-) xxx