PDA

View Full Version : Which websites to block?

uk23
26-08-10, 14:37
I have decided to follow advice from my psychiatrist and block websites and keywords using my router, I am just trying to work out which ones.

So far:

wrongdiagnosis.com
keyword:symptom
keyword:effects
netdoctor.co.uk

Any help is appreciated.

MidnightCalm
26-08-10, 14:42
The things you are scared of, i'd block cancer and ALS etc, i'd block google if it wasn't so useful !

MoonlightFire
26-08-10, 15:18
Block the dreaded WebMD...euch and the NHS website, that's scared me rigid recently.

LisaLisa
26-08-10, 15:25
that webmd freaked me out too and also the netpatient or something, everything on that is linked to hiv!

I think that all the illnesses your fear definately. Good call with the word symptom thats a big one.

i wouldn't think you would need much more to be honest!

How do you do that anyway? i really need to as well.

Lisa
xxx

uk23
26-08-10, 15:57
We have a router which has a site blocking feature, my girlfriend is adding sites and keywords to it and then she will change the password.

If you dont have a router you can do it yourself by editing your hosts file.

If you are using Windows Vista or 7 do this:

1) go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
2) You will see a file called 'HOSTS' or 'Hosts'. Using the rename feature add a '.txt' extension or open it with notepad.
3) You will now need to add websites, for example;

If you wanted to block netdoctor.co.uk you would go to a new line and type

127.0.0.1 netdoctor.co.uk

This would create an error when trying to go to that page or any part of it.

Would people find it helpful to have an in depth guide?

Would it be worth us making a list together and put in into a ready made hosts file?

MoonlightFire
26-08-10, 17:12
It would definitely be worth putting together a little guide for how to block sites from our routers...I think this could really help us :) Also I think we should use this thread to compile a list of sites to block. No peeking at them though guys!!!

I've got a few more for the block list:

medicinenet.com
healthline.com
familydoctor.org
nlm.nih.gov
familyhealthguide.co.uk

Also, something interesting just happened...I googled the word symptoms and guess what came up as 'related searches' at the bottom? HIV and the big C aswell as Diabetes! Just from googling the word symptoms!!!!!