PDA

View Full Version : Hyperventilation

Jac 2009
26-08-10, 16:19
Hey,

Does anyone have chronic hyperventilation?

I have had this in the past at night - horrid frightening thing but for the last ten days, after taking diazepam at night I haven't had it. The trouble is that I seem to be the sort of person who has to have some sort of anxiety related problem and when one goes away another rears its ugly head.

At the moment - whenever I get even slightly stressed during the day, I start breathing badly and I can't catch my breath. I gasp for breath and sometimes it takes ages to go away. At other times - not that often at the moment - I can breathe perfectly normally. I have two young grandchildren - 2 months and 14 months. They're good kids but with the best will in the world there is rarely a minutes peace when they are here. I'm getting to the stage when I can't bear it when my daugter brings them round - I get in such a state and my breathing is awful. I have always been very close to my daughter - how can I tell her that her kids are making me feel ill? I know about all the breathing exercises but nothing seems to work.

Any advice or anyone who feels the same would be very helpful. xx

angels22165
26-08-10, 16:36
Hi, I too suffer from getting short of breath over least bit of exertion, and it scares me so much, I just try and distract myself until I feel bit better, I think you should try and explain to your daughter how you are feeling at the moment, what do you do when you feel it coming on? Or sometimes even sat down watching tv it will start - it is a very scary symptom of anxiety. :weep:

paperhanger
26-08-10, 16:58
Hi I also get out of breath very easily,
the more you focus on it the worse it seems to get.
Try to focus on something else and you wont notice it as much
Good luck and keep calm:)

Jac 2009
26-08-10, 18:50
thank you for your replies. As for what I do when it comes on - I try to breathe properly but it's almost impossible. Distraction is the best thing of course but sometimes that does not work either. x

Kerry B
26-08-10, 19:31
Hi I get the not being able to breath properly too have you tried breathing in a brown paper bag it helps me.

Jac 2009
28-08-10, 10:21
While reading through some previous posts about hyperventilation, I came across a post about a site called cure hyperventilation. I logged on, paid the sixteen pounds or so and did the therapy.

Basically it is just about doing a session and breathing to retain carbon dioxide and it is really helping me. You can do it without signing up. All you do is have a stop watch and some paper. Start the clock as you breathe in - using your diaphram. When you have finished breathing in, hold your breath for as long as comfortably possible and then breathe out as slowly as possible. Make a note of the time, wait and minute and then do it again. Do it ten times twice a day. The mere act of breathing like this makes you feel better because you are not breathing in a shallow way. The idea is that you retrain your breathing system to accept more carbon dioxide in your system and so stop hyperventilation.

I'm impressed so far. After I got up this morning I started breathing badly. Idid the theray and I feel much better and my chest is much clearer. I hope it continues to work because it would be lovely to be able to do something to make me feel less breathless.

Jac xx

Maj
28-08-10, 10:59
I suffered from this again a while ago. It's very unpleasant and makes you feel distressed, but as you say it's all about breathing from your tummy, not your chest. It's your chest muscles that are tense which makes you feel breathless but absolutely nothing to do with our lungs!! The thing is, we will ALWAYS get enough breath. Concentrated tummy breaths definitely help to get over this unpleasant anxiety symptom. I'm glad you are feeling better.:hugs: