PDA

View Full Version : CBT Books

Dan21
27-02-06, 15:11
Does anyone know of any books that are CBT based or aimed at helping folks with health anxiety?

Dan

jackie
27-02-06, 19:21
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

i hope you will find some here. i still think the claire weekes books are the best. i have one i havent read yet that is cbt based, its called embracing the fear . learning to manage anxiety and panic attacks. it is written by judith bemis and amr barrada. dont no what itis like but it is cbt based

just click into the above site for more books
jackie

cece
07-05-08, 01:44
It's not specifically for health anxiety but the book that helped me get my life back and give me control over my anxieties is a CBT book called Been There, Done That? (http://tao3.com) by Sam Obitz. The TEA form thought countering exercise has changed my thinking and my life for the better and I highly recommend it if you are willing to work on the CBT exercises daily to get better.

hazey-babe
07-05-08, 13:28
Hi again its not a CBT book as such but I have used Understanding Panic Attacks and overcoming fear by Dr Roger Baker. I have loads of bits underlined in it and have found it a great help especially with the health issues I have as it makes me realise that a lot of what I am feeling is "normal" for panic if that makes sense?!?!?!

Hazel:hugs:

cece
14-05-08, 01:53
That sounds like the first step of cbt realizing many of the feelings we fear are normal. I'm glad you are feeling better:)

pigtailplaits
14-05-08, 16:23
'essential help for your nerves' by Dr Claire Weekes.
I read it in 5 days. i could not put it down. Its for people suffering from nervous illness and how to overcome your stress and fears. it was written in the 80's i think but is still very relevant today.i got it from the library on loan but i might see if they have any on play.com

lostsoul
14-05-08, 19:10
Hi all

I bought Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies - sounds daft I know but its actually quite well written. The excercises are very good although I'm still having trouble making sense of the whole thing - my anxiety just seems to come from no-where as soon as I have to leave the house I get anxious. I cant help thinking that no amount of me replacing a negative emotion with a positive is going to help. Its a case of what the book says is all making sense but in practice it aint happening :weep: I suppose it takes patience though so I'll be sticking with it. Its £7.94 on amazon if anyone is interested Its normal retail price is £15.99 so a good deal I'd say!! :)

Does anyone else find that their anxiety is just free floating and comes from nowhere? with the CBT stuff your basically replacing a negative thought with a more contructive one. I dont tend to go out with a negative thought that I can pin down all I know is as soon as I'm around people thats it I go dizzy and feel faint. I'm not really worried at all about what they think of me or anything like that its so strange.

Take care all

Blackstar
15-05-08, 12:11
Hi,

I just bought a book called 'An Introduction to Coping With Health Anxiety' by Charles Young and Brenda Hogan. It's CBT-based and very, very good!! The authors TOTALLY understand our problem and I like the fact that it's not patronising at all.

It has lots of exercises to do, just like a CBT therapist would give you, and I'm finding it helpful. You have to be quite diligent with the 'homework', but it's supposed to be the best therapy for HA.

I bought it from Amazon and it's dead cheap!

:D

A. x

polly123
15-05-08, 17:11
the books by DR CLAIR WEEKS are a must read, theyve helped me so much, you can but them from amazon, hope you feel better soon

Eleven
15-05-08, 18:24
Hi,

I just bought a book called 'An Introduction to Coping With Health Anxiety' by Charles Young and Brenda Hogan. It's CBT-based and very, very good!! The authors TOTALLY understand our problem and I like the fact that it's not patronising at all.

It has lots of exercises to do, just like a CBT therapist would give you, and I'm finding it helpful. You have to be quite diligent with the 'homework', but it's supposed to be the best therapy for HA.

I bought it from Amazon and it's dead cheap!

:D

A. x
I've ordered this - ta

cece
21-05-08, 01:29
Hi all

Does anyone else find that their anxiety is just free floating and comes from nowhere? with the CBT stuff your basically replacing a negative thought with a more contructive one. I dont tend to go out with a negative thought that I can pin down all I know is as soon as I'm around people thats it I go dizzy and feel faint. I'm not really worried at all about what they think of me or anything like that its so strange.

Take care all
A lot of the quote, negative thoughts, are more accurately described as automatic thoughts you have that you are often not even aware of and that is why the anxiety APPEARS to come out of nowhere. You took years to develop those thoughts so be patient with yourself as you begin tackling the thoughts you are able to identify and eventually you'll begin to catch the automatic ones as well.

cece
21-05-08, 01:33
Hi,

You have to be quite diligent with the 'homework', but it's supposed to be the best therapy for HA.

A. x

I personally believe the difference between those who achieve success with CBT and those who do not comes down to how dilligent you are at working on the exercises, especially the tea forms.

Jrank1
28-05-08, 00:52
I personally believe the difference between those who achieve success with CBT and those who do not comes down to how dilligent you are at working on the exercises, especially the tea forms.
I'm with you Cece, I have seen several people give up when they were just about to achieve the relief they wanted with CBT and TEA forms.

Jrank1
30-05-08, 00:05
I wanted to add that CBT and the TEA forms give you lasting relief but it takes a while for the new way of thinking to pay off for you. Be patient with yourself and you will likely start to see results in six to twelve weeks if you are dedicated in countering your thoughts.

cece
23-06-08, 02:25
I'm with you Cece, I have seen several people give up when they were just about to achieve the relief they wanted with CBT and TEA forms.
So sad isn't it? Thanks for the support:D

Jrank1
19-08-08, 17:13
Hopefully as more people share their experience of struggling but staying with the CBT exercises and finding relief more people will be encouraged not to give up so soon. It is so worth the early struggle to get better.

cece
01-10-08, 02:37
I hope so too. If my posts have just helped one other person I would be thrilled:flowers:

cece
18-01-09, 01:18
Happy New Year Everyone:yesyes:

Jrank1
02-05-09, 01:17
I agree about helping even just one person makes a big difference:)
Now if we could get more people to share their successes!

cece
12-05-09, 00:12
I agree about helping even just one person makes a big difference:)
Now if we could get more people to share their successes!

This is the reason I come back, to try and pay it forward:D

Jrank1
24-05-09, 21:14
I too believe in paying it forward and the good karma that comes with it:yesyes:

cece
12-06-09, 02:25
Then keep doing it :D

Jrank1
04-08-09, 20:40
I am and you do the same:yesyes:

cece
03-09-09, 22:46
I will. I can always use more good karma, but I'd do it anyway:D

Jrank1
28-09-09, 18:05
We can all always use more good karma:yesyes: You can never have too much good karma:D

cece
27-10-09, 22:51
We can all always use more good karma:yesyes: You can never have too much good karma:D

Undoubtedly true:yesyes:

Jrank1
15-12-09, 19:30
Undoubtedly true:yesyes:

On that note.... Merry Christmas everyone!

SleeplessFog
15-12-09, 21:46
Good thread. I am currently reading Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat Zinn. I also am doing his tapes that come with the book. It is excellent, my therapist had me work with the book in sessions. It has been a tremendous help to me.

cece
03-02-10, 01:16
Good job sleepless fog! Keep up the good work. I use the CBT based TEA forms from the book by Sam Obitz and they have been wonderful for eliminating most of my anxiety and related problems. Is the book you are using a CBT based one or something else? Take care:D

Jrank1
02-06-10, 23:22
Great input sleepless fog. I am also curious if it is based on cbt? The TEA forms have been my salvation and I still do them for a few minutes every day.

cece
08-07-10, 03:03
You still around sleepless fog? Still interested whether it was a CBT book or not?

Jrank1
05-09-10, 18:41
Sleepless is a junior member so I think she's still around, probably did not get a notification and has not seen our questions :)

kaijo
05-09-10, 20:04
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Worrying-About-Your-Health/dp/157224285X
This is a really good book specifically for people with HA

xxx

cece
23-10-10, 00:19
Good point JR. Thx for the rec Kaijo. I love to read:)

Jrank1
05-04-11, 01:19
Thanks for the replies I hope you are both doing well!

cece
16-04-11, 02:24
Thanks for the replies I hope you are both doing well!

Doing wonderful:D
How about you?

Lindy
01-05-11, 17:48
Reading this one at the moment, specifically for HA, its' really good and definitely recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Health-Anxiety-David-Veale/dp/1845298241/ref=pd_sim_b_3

cece
07-05-11, 01:49
I don't have HA issues anymore but I am always looking for other good resouces to recommend so thanks:)

Jrank1
02-06-11, 00:25
Doing awesome but just really busy. Thanks for thinking of me and I hope you are well:)

cece
12-08-11, 03:03
Doing awesome but just really busy. Thanks for thinking of me and I hope you are well:)

You must be busy as it has been a while since you have posted and yes I can relate :roflmao:

Jrank1
30-05-12, 22:57
LOL. No excuse for not coming around more. I am going to try and do better this year:shrug:

cece
22-07-12, 04:03
We all do the best we can but we all live busy lives and it's tough sometimes. That said, any visit and input is more helpful than none at all:D