PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting better!

Lilith
27-02-04, 19:31
Hi, everyone! I logged on to the internet today, checked my bookmarks, and when I saw "No More Panic" I thought, "WOW! I haven't even thought about posting there, because I've been feeling so well." So, I decided it was time to check the success forum.

I have been reading the posts here, and agree with so many of them. This site has helped me tremendously. The best thing I learned here is to tell myself "You're not going crazy. It's just anxiety." You wouldn't believe how much that can slow down the onslaught of panic.

Anyway, I haven't taken a Xanax in 3 weeks. I went to the car wash yesterday! That's a big deal for me. See, when you pull in, you get in a line of cars. Pretty soon, there are other cars in line behind you, and there's no way out. That's what usually triggers panic for me - being in a place (especially in the car) where I can't get out. I felt a little nervous, but it was all over before I knew it.

Next challenge - the dentist.

I will try harder to make it a point to visit the forums regularly, even when I'm feeling good. I owe it to all of you.

Meg
27-02-04, 19:50
Dear Lilith,

Thats wonderful news.. I remember your first post. Now see how you are !

Many congratulations indeed.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
27-02-04, 22:38
Hi Lilith

Exellent and wonderful news!!! (whats your secret???)

love Sarah
xx

Lilith
29-02-04, 01:47
My secret? No secret at all. Much (maybe most) of my success is a direct result of having found this website. It was here that I found out that I had agoraphobia, and that made all the difference. Meg told me that avoiding situations would make matters worse. You'd think that would be obvious, but until then I didn't realize it. I still don't take things in stride like I once did, but I'm not terrified anymore when the weird feelings come upon me. I go to the supermarket now, and if I feel spacey on the checkout line, I don't bug out and run home like I used to. I tell myself "It's just anxiety - it's okay." I feel like I'm making progress, and that's the best thing that's happened to me in the last 2 years.

uryjm
29-02-04, 10:00
Well done Lilith. I've also found this acceptance of anxiety is a big part of getting over it. It's just part of who I am, and I could have worse crosses to bear. I've also found that many of the things I've learned through trying to cope with panic - relaxation, watching my diet, exercise - have had beneficial rebounds elsewhere in life. And this webiste, what a tonic it is. It's such a relief to find there's nothing new in what you're going through and that you're not alone with whatever "new" symptom you might be experiencing. Of all the symptoms I've had, and I've had SO many over the years, I've yet to find one that someone else on this site hasn't also faced.

Jim

twister
29-02-04, 18:24
That's brilliant news Lilith. I definetely think that accepting you have anxiety is a big help. I was on a train yesterday and started to panic and then I thought 'so what, I'll panic for a bit and then it will stop'. I calmed myself down after that!

Emily