PDA

View Full Version : newbie urgently seeking advice

arttilly34
27-08-10, 02:12
Hi all
iv suffered from social anxiety for many years, and i worry re worring lol. Im due to be married in 3 weeks and i am stressing re ruining my day by being a blubbering reck. And i also suffer from fear of flying. Iv been to docs today and he has perscribed me propranalol 40mg twice a day. said to take them on wedding day and also before i go on honeymoon.
My dilema is
shall i take them one day before my wedding day so i know if i have any side effects from them, and my wedding is a 2pm so what time would you advice i take the doses on the day.
Thanks in advance for any advice
:)

Deva
27-08-10, 11:46
I've taken Propranolol before and they made me very very tired - I just wanted to sleep. They lower your blood pressure which means that the physical symptoms of anxiety such as a racing heart aren't so apparent so you feel calmer. But lowering you blood pressure can make you feel very drowsy. I would take one now rather than on the day or even the day before to see if you are affected in this way - if you are go back to your GP and tell him so.

You could ask him for some diazepam instead which work wonders as a temporary and short term fix for anxiety. They will make you feel very relaxed (think of the way you feel when you've had a couple of drinks but before you are actually drunk). The only fly in the ointment is that you can't drink alcohol- not good on your wedding day :doh:

Good luck - I'm sure that what ever you choose you'll have a fantastic day.

arttilly34
29-08-10, 00:13
Hi Deva

Cheers for advice Il give them a try before the wedding and see how i go, Fingers crossed they wont make me sleepy lol

Vixxy
29-08-10, 11:28
Hi there. I dont get any side effects from propranalol other than colder hands and feet.
Theyre non addictive and can be taken as and when you need them, so its fine to take one earlier than your gp suggested just to see how you go.
My advice is to always get up slowly as I get head rushes if i try to get up too quickly :D
If you take one and feel light headed then go back to your gp and ask for a lower dose.
Im taking 10mg x3 a day at the mo. Ive been on an 80mg slow release pill before but that made me feel really lightheaded XD
I got married last year and wish i was taking propranalol at the time! I was very nervous, but managed to get through the day :) Good luck and enjoy it!

arttilly34
30-08-10, 03:50
cheers for advice. Im gonna try one this week and if i have any un wanted effects then i could try half a tablet and see how it goes.