PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer or non hodgkins... Please help - anxiety is sky high

jenza20
27-08-10, 18:43
About 4-6 weeks ago I noticed a circular patch of discoloured skin on my right breast. The breast itself has been itching lately (a sign of breast cancer I am told), and, well, just feels different but I can't pinpoint why?

The itching is not actually on the patch of skin (which is similar to an oval shaped bruise), but elsewhere on the breast. It has a redish border and is not raised or scaley. Completely flat patch of skin but obviously is there for a reason and sadly something I am becoming obsessed with. (Before anyone asks, it isn't a bruise, it was a faint oval patch that is now noticeable. It isn't hot to touch and is not bright red or inflamed. I have no lumps that I can feel but the breast is very tender).

So, rather than go to the Doctor (absolutely terrified), I obsess about it on the internet. I have seen similar photos now and they all point to CTCL (a type of non hodgkins lymphoma that affects the skin) or when I type in my symptoms, it always points to breast cancer. For the last few weeks now I have spent a good part of the day scouring the internet for information and what to expect when I am diagnosed. I am so petrified. I know I suffer from Health Anxiety and having tests relating to my bowels and reflux over the next couple of months and as if that isn't stressful enough, I have ACTUAL visual symptoms.

I can't see anywhere on here of people having fears of this type of skin cancer or these particular symptoms of breast cancer. I know everyone's gonna say "go to the doctor" and I plan to on Tuesday but to go another whole weekend wondering and worrying is making me ill. I now have the most horrible headache, feeling tearful and once again, will turn to a bottle of wine to block out my fears and headache, even though I know all the wine will do is give me a bad tummy in the morning....HELP!!!

HelenLouise
27-08-10, 21:21
Heyy!
I just read your post and I would probably be reacting the same way!
Health anxiety sucks and google makes it so much worse.
Google is definatley obsessed with cancer!

There are loads of fungal infections that can cause itching and circular patches of skin that you described, which can be easily cleared up.
I know its easier said than done but try not to convince yourself its cancer as this is the least likely thing it could be :)!

Lymphomas or breast cancers usually present themselves with a lump or swollen gland that grows.
Any other symptoms are known as B symptoms and are only of concern if present with a lump or something similar.

Its more then likely a fungal thing hun.
Try to stay calm and stay off google haha :)!
Hope you're okay xxx

suzy-sue
27-08-10, 21:44
Hi Its sounds like you have a fungal infection possibly ringworm .(theres no worm ) before you get spooked hearing that .A perscription cream will get rid of it in a few days ,so pop and see your Dr on Monday or go to a drop in clinic over the w/e .Believe me its nothing to worry about .Sue x

jenza20
28-08-10, 21:03
Its defo not ringworm. I have looked at all the photos of skin conditions like ringworm and its nothing like it. It's like a bruise, isn't raised and has none of the other accompanying symptoms of ringworm. Believe me, despite always thinking ringworm is an unpleasant condition, I would do anything to seriously think it was that right now. But I am confident it isn't that. Oh I hate health anxiety. Thank you both for taking the time to reply. x

Ambers
28-08-10, 21:22
Look up Pityriasis Rosea

Sounds like it, but it is harmless! (oval shape, darker on outside, and believed can be caused by stress)

I have had it before -

Take care x

Ambers
28-08-10, 21:28
I just looked at pics of this - thought I would add mine was like a bruise / flat / got darker slowly (Herald spot) and it took 2 weeks before I got the family lol

jenza20
28-08-10, 22:55
Ambers, I've also looked at this and thought it could be it until I read what follows is a rash of which 4-6 weeks down the road, I don't have a rash. Also it's not raised either. Completely flat. No scaling, nothing. Just appeared out of the blue. My breast has been extremely tender for some time but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Very worrying :weep: