PDA

View Full Version : In a state about breast lumps - what is normal?

stick1974
27-08-10, 23:51
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've had HA for many years. I've finally decided to post because I'm having very bad anxiety again about breast lumpiness, and have got myself into a bit of a state. My husband has been through this with me many times, and he loses patience with me sometimes. If it's not this then it's some other health worry. It feels like we have so much responsibility to be vigilant and to take responsibility for our own health, and it's so difficult when you have HA.

My breasts have been lumpy and painful for several years now - more so before a period, and sometimes subsiding afterwards, but sometimes remaining painful all month - I'm nearly 36 - and I was referred to the breast clinic 5 years ago - had ultrasound and clinical examination and was told fibrocystic change. I was relieved at first, but kept going back to my GP and was referred another couple of times with anxiety about new lumpy and painful areas that I was finding. It got to the stage where I was constantly checking my breasts, getting totally panicked about all the lumps I could feel, and making them more painful because I was always prodding them, to the stage where I wasn't sure what I could feel anymore. I was always on the internet, looking at breast cancer forums and medical sites, and it was always at the back of my mind for about 3 years. The fear eventually subsided, only to be replaced by cervical cancer fears after treatment for an abnormal smear - ironically something I'd never given a second thought to before.

Since then I have veered from anxiety about cervical cancer to ovarian cancer, throat cancer, skin cancer, brain tumour, oesophagal cancer and bowel cancer - I also have IBS - all due to symptoms I was feeling. A couple of weeks ago a friend was telling me about one of her friends who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer at 43, and I was much more thorough than usual with my breast self exam, which I'd got down to only doing every month. As well as the usual lumpy areas, I felt what I think might be a new area of lumpiness on the underside of my right breast. At first I tried to tell myself that it didn't feel any different from the kinds of lumpiness that I've had for years, but then I started thinking maybe this is new - could I have missed it before and it's been growing all this time, maybe it's different, etc. I tried to get an appointment with my GP but she's on holiday until 6th September, so I've booked an appointment for then. Part of me wants her to examine me and tell me everything is ok, but part of me wants her to refer me again so that I can get another scan. But I'm scared of what the scan would tell me. I hate feeling like this again, and I find it almost impossible to tell what is normal. I know that breast tissue does feel nodular and that this can be normal, and I know that many breast cancers present as small, hard lumps, which I don't have. But I also know that sometimes lumps that like fibrocystic condition can mimic or mask breast cancers, so I'm really concerned. I find that it's hard to get people to take this seriously - the last time I was at the breast clinic they were very dismissive of me, and just said I was very anxious. I am very anxious, but I think anyone with a lot of breast lumpiness and pain would be anxious - surely!

I don't know what I'm hoping for from this post - just knowing that other people understand I guess. If anyone has any advice about this problem I'd be so grateful to hear from them.

Thanks for reading

countrygirl
28-08-10, 12:38
I sympathise with you as my mother died of breast cancer and anything with my breast worries me. I am 49 yrs old so will soon start the screening programme but given how many tests I have had over the years this is the one that freaks me big time. I am also perimenopausal and stopped ovulating about 4 yrs ago ( I know because I always always got ovulation pain every cycle) - I then had seriously abnormal bleeding for about 2 yrs which was due to hormone imbalance and for past year have been on natural progesterone cream which has improved the bleeding hugely BUT I now get much more hormonal breast pain - I have always had it occasionally and only ever left breast I get painful nipple and then where breast joins body at side is painful when brest moves or if I lay on it in bed. Mine now lasts for much longer that it did and I freak out that it will last right through 2 cycles.

I can't offer any words of wisdom as I worry just as much as you do!

You are too young for a mammogram and you don't want them too early anyway because of the accumulated radiation - there is a new screening using thermography that is only available privately at a few centres birmingham and south that you can have as often as you can afford- its pricey and if anything looks iffy they then do a mammo again you pay and if anything on that then your GP can send you to nhs breast clinic. I am wondering about doing that myself.

Have you explained your total anxiety to your GP about your breasts - I know Dr's sometimes find it hard to sympathise when their next patient may have terminal cancer and I understand their lack of sympathy but you have classic health anxiety in going from one fatal illness to another. I always say that if I didn't have any symptoms I woldn't have health anxiety:D but of course we all have to live with health symptoms.

PM me if you want to talk in more depth than we can on here:bighug: