PDA

View Full Version : Terrible anxiety going up to 20mg

anxiouschick
28-08-10, 20:10
Hi I was taking 20mg of citalopram, but managed to get down to 10mg about a year ago. My anxiety levels have been high lately as I experienced a miscarriage in April, so the Doctor advised me to go up to 20 again. My problem is the anxiety then rocketed even more and I felt twitchy and strange and full of what I can only describe as nervous energy.

I managed 5 days of feeling like this, then made the decision to drop back to 10 again. I stopped taking the 20 on Tuesday, so 5 days ago, but still feeling the same horrible anxiety. Do you think it could still be the affects of going up on the dose? Would it still be in my system do you think?

Thanks

JT69
30-08-10, 14:51
Hi anxiouschick,

Sorry that you are feeling the horrible anxiety. Unfortunatley 10mg is a very low dose of citalopram and 20mg is a more theraputic dose. The increase could of caused increase anxiety as this is often the case until your body gets used to it. It can take up to 2 weeks before you start to feel the benefit....I would think that your body is suffering a bit of withdrawal effects from the reduction. If you could manage to increase to 20mg and just go with it for a couple of weeks you should then start to feel better, easier said than done I know but if you are feeling so anxious at the moment what have you got to lose??

I hope you feel better soon.

Jo.xx

ellie1971
30-08-10, 16:29
hi i was also on 10mg n upped to 20mg 4 weeks ago, my anxiety rocketed threw the roof with side effects,, think i got everyone going,, they are only just calming down, my advice wud be stick to 20mg n try and perciveer as im doing,, feel free to private message me for advice, take care xxxxxxxxx

anxiouschick
30-08-10, 20:40
thanks for the replies. I feel so low at the moment. Have had 2 full blown panic attacks 2 night's running and shocking anxiety.

I think the fact that I upped and then dropped again has made me feel even worse.

I really don't know what to do for the best. My anxiety is so high at the moment, I don't know if I can cope with any more if I raise the dose again.

Thanks

Bakerboy3685
31-08-10, 14:50
It took me well over a month to finally increase the dose to 20mg.

I was supposed to go from 10mg to 20mg after a week, but I had the side effects you were experiencing and I know how horrible it is. I went back to 10mg again as I could not handle it.

Eventually I managed to get onto 20mg daily and have been on them for months now, I hope it settles down for you once you have taken them for a week or two.

trooper
31-08-10, 22:16
Sorry to hear you're having a bad time on them.

Have you spoken to your GP.

Mine has given me sleeping tablets and diazapam for 'emergencies' I have been using them sparingly.

Probably the last thing you want to do, but excersise is good for reducing anxiety, a good run or swim. I know the last thing I want to do is leave the house when I feel like that but it will help.

I normally try to keep myself comfortable at home, listen or watch things that are soothing and reassuring, just as much as you can do to comfort yourself.

Hope it passes soon.

markrut
18-09-10, 16:37
hi i was also on 10mg n upped to 20mg 4 weeks ago, my anxiety rocketed threw the roof with side effects,, think i got everyone going,, they are only just calming down, my advice wud be stick to 20mg n try and perciveer as im doing,, feel free to private message me for advice, take care xxxxxxxxx

I have been on Seroxat for 10 years the last 2 years n 10mg, due to an increase in anxiety my GP wants me to go back to 20mg. I have been on 15mg for 2 weeks and ny anxiety has gone way up, with nervousness etc. Anyone else had this when increasing the dose.

pinkrose
18-09-10, 17:02
Last year I was on 40 mg Fluoxetine, and for the past few months have been on 20 mg. In the last few weeks, I've had a few stresses which triggered my anxiety levels again and I'm back on 40 since last week. I've felt a little more anxious, but I suspect it's my body adjusting to the level again. At least I hope it is! That's what I keep telling myself, and the fact that I did feel better when I was on 40.

steveo1980
18-09-10, 19:02
can you do 15mg for a little while, then up to 20mg once settled.

anxiouschick
19-09-10, 12:15
Thanks for the replies. Maybe going up to 15g is the best way to do it.

I've tried to ride the anxiety out since reducing back to 10, but I think I'm just kidding myself. Been signed off ill with work, and I feel pretty lousy at the moment. Can't imagine going back for a while.

I'm scared to go up as I know that I'm going to feel worse before I get better. The Doctor has given me some diazepam to take if I get really panicky.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet at start them tomorrow

markrut
19-09-10, 19:13
Its now the day 11 of going from 10mg to 15mg and still feeling yuk, the nausea seems to have gone but still feel shaky, tired and down, I am gad I did not go to 20mg straight away. Hopefully it won't be much longer before these side effects of increasng starts to subside, I remebder when I started Seroxat it was a good month after eeling worse before I started better, didn't really expect to have side effects like this by just increasing the dose.

lynn1960
19-09-10, 19:21
i dont think incresing and decrasing your meds help it confuses the body the higher dose will take a week or so to kick in but you have to pericver with it any meds take a whilr to get into your system ask the doc for some dizapam to help with the side effects ubtil meds kick in

markrut
19-09-10, 19:47
I do have some diazapam but I am very reluctant to take it, i will give it a few more days, if I am still feeling yuk I might take one, I just didn't expect to get side effects like this buy increasing by 5mg.