PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about IBS is it Ovarian Cancer?

petmad
28-08-10, 21:01
Hi all
I have tried not to come on this website for a while because I really wish I could cope and not get myself in a tizz about things but I am feeling really down and very worried.
I have had IBS for many years and it settled down for ages but this year its come back again, well i think its IBS.
I get the old bloating tummy, constipation, spasms, wind and pain etc etc, and also some pains in my lower back which could just be muscle but who knows?
I have been docs and they don't seem to pick up on anything else but I am now worrying about ovarian cancer because good old google says the symptoms are very similar and can be mistaken for IBS and its a silent killer because the symptoms are often too late...
I keep trying to convince myself its nothing but you know what the old brain is like, I feel since I have turned 40 I am falling apart with one thing or another...
thanks for listening, any help to stop me going mad would be good xx

Carly Lou
28-08-10, 21:51
Hey, Good god.... could our situation be anymore similar, im 25 and have apparently IBS.... since last year, i was in so much pain, tummy ache bloated, pelvic pains, back ache, feeling sick, being sick... i had a private smear.. that was clear, then had a abdominal scan, that was clear, and docs said it was IBS, since having my son, ive made the mistake of looking up ovarian cancer symptoms... and guess what, freak out........... !!! im worrying myself aswell, thinking omg i might have had ovarian cancer for a year and the end is near... im so worried too, and dont know what to do, i have tablets for the IBS which do actually work... i guess the hopefull thing is that the pain comes and goes, and then goes for a couple months or so but then is back for a good month, apparently, if it was something sinister, it wouldnt just come and go, it would be constant ??????? xxxxx

petmad
28-08-10, 23:53
I have had IBS for years, but the pains have tended to be a bit different, the bloating does come and go, worse at night and much better in the morning, thats about the only thing keeping me going..I went docs ages ago as feared about this and he examined me and said I was fine, but then these GP's do miss things.
I have tried a couple of things and not really found anything that works. It all triggered again when I watch Mistresses this week as one of the women had ovarian cancer, so it got me worrying again and I am finding it so hard to think of anything else...

morningsong
29-08-10, 19:50
omg! you sound like me..... I'm the same!!!! suffered with IBS for a good many years and i have done my internet research about the similarities with ovarian cancer symptoms!!!! and like you say some gp's don't investigate further and just say the diagnosis of ibs....how would we get tested for ovarian cancer? is this a smear?

can i tell you about something i have found that has made an immeasurable difference to my ibs....its called Heathers tummy acacia fibre but you can only get if from usa.... it has made a big difference to my ibs (as long as i remember to take it everyday ;) )

google it - its well recommended :D - if you can control your ibs symptoms then you will know that is what it is.......at least that's how i look at it :D

Cell block H fan
29-08-10, 20:39
Well, having had those symptoms myself off & on over many years, I know I dont have ovarian cancer, so far.
I remember in my early 30's when I had terrible bloating after everything, even after a cup of tea, that went on for weeks. I remember going to stop at my sisters 2 hours away for the weekend & had to keep shtum as she is a bit of a HA sufferrer herself. Everyone went to the pub in the evening & I could hardly drink at all, as I felt full all the time.
Turned out to be...well, I dont know to be honest.
I was too scared to get it checked out.
Have had the same symptom a few times since, 8 years on now, back ache, ovary pains. I'm still here! xxx

bashley
02-09-10, 17:34
omg i'm just like you i have had awful lower abdominal pains that go across pelvic area. Sometimes they are so bad i could cry lately even my back and legs/hip hurt. I too think i have ovarian cancer after looking up symptoms i went to GP he knows i suffer from health anxiety (which does not help as everything i go to tell him he thinks its all to do with ha/depression). The GP said its ibs prescribed some tablets which didnt really help. I was so worried i went to see the nurse she felt around my ovaries and said she couldnt feel a lump, so ovaries seem ok. But she seemed to think its something bowel related and i have to have a colonoscopy which i'm really scared about. I have heard that pepermint tea or peppermint oil helps so i will try that.
I'm sure yours is ibs too.

take care

bashley

Ambers
02-09-10, 17:47
I could have written the same 'word for word' about 2 months ago... and I went for trest after test worrying that it was ovarian cancer. I even told the doctor thats what I thought I had. I've had really bad bleeding and bled for weeks and weeks. Turns out I do have a harmless cyst on my ovaries. I agree about turning 40 lol

Ambers x

Pandagirl
03-09-10, 14:08
I have PM'ed you. Hope you're feeling a bit better. I take just plain peppermint oil from Holland & Barrett for the bloating (which isn't always), hot wheat bag for back pain & just tolerate the gas. I'm 37 & have come to the conclusion my insides are not as young as they used to be! xx

Beeble
06-01-11, 20:24
I spied this thread and had to post a reply.... I suffer a lot of IBS symptoms (bloating, pain, wind etc). My mum has had ovarian cancer and her ovaries removed 18mths ago and I thought at the time when I started getting all theses symptoms is it/could it be??...... my GP at the time glossed over it and said if overly worried I should keep a diary. I was called back after my last smear (April10) and am now under the colcoscopy clinic..... they've said just precaution but still things go through your mind.
I will try the peppermint oil..........