PDA

View Full Version : was it a panic attack?

ellie_C_mason1990
28-08-10, 21:47
currently dealing with health anxiety, the other day I got a chest pain, then suddenly felt sick, faint, feelings of impending doom, etc. went to a&e and they said probably was a panic attack.

I was wondering if it was though as I was still able to hold a conversation with my flat mate and sit and google the symptoms online. i always thought panic attacks were so prominent they paralysed you to do anything until it passed?

i dont know.. !

sarah_85
28-08-10, 22:02
Hi! This sounds a lot like what happened to me. I had all those sort of symptoms and ended up in a&e! it does sounds like a panic attack to me, especially with the feelings of impending doom and the chest pain. i think panic attacks can come in all shapes and sizes depending on the person and u don't find them completely debilitating, i can hold conversations, but it doesn't make them any less scary. the best piece of advice i can give you is to read all the information on the left, learn what causes the symptoms which will help you to understand that they are not physically harmful and try and make sure you're wnd well supported and surrounded by people who understand and make you feel safe. also, see you GP and see what they suggest.
I really hope this helps, hang in there, i know it is really horrible and incredibly unsettling but you are so not alone and feel free to pm me if you need to chat. lots of love.xxx

uk23
29-08-10, 07:42
That really sounds like a panic attack to me, I did the same thing and they did an ECG, said everything was fine and sent me home.

I find that OTC Nytol is very good and less addictive than benzo's, plus you can buy your own.

Obviously check with your doctor first about new meds.

fairyclairy
29-08-10, 22:45
Definitly sounds like a panic attack..... i have them all the time, all day everyday, but i still carry on with things - go to work, shopping, seeing friends etc. I carry on and look 'normal' but it doesnt make them any less scary!
They are awful... symptoms are horrible and sooo terrifying but you can still carry on and hold conversations etc, it doesnt paralise you.

I agree with whats been said - read all the info on here and you should begin to understand more about them - the more you learn, the less frightening they become x

Alex33.33
30-08-10, 09:54
The first one is normally one of the most horrible, because it comes as such a shock. My first I was convinced I was dying, probably heart attack, was hundreds of miles away from home at uni and got carted off by ambulance to hope hospital in manchester in the dead of the night, with only a pair of shorts on and no money. The doctors, after much testing and talk, told me it was a panic attack, gave me a valium and sent me into the night in my shorts and a hospital gown/smock/dress...poor bloke, i now think, wandering around Manchester, with palpitations giving way to heavy sedation, wearing a dress really. Plus when I did get back, demanding taxi money, the ambulance men had left a syringe, so everyone assumed I'd gone all Sid Vicous. Sixteen years later, I can almost laugh about it. Almost. Hang in there, it's horrible, but it's part of you...

ellie_C_mason1990
31-08-10, 10:40
The first one is normally one of the most horrible, because it comes as such a shock. My first I was convinced I was dying, probably heart attack, was hundreds of miles away from home at uni and got carted off by ambulance to hope hospital in manchester in the dead of the night, with only a pair of shorts on and no money. The doctors, after much testing and talk, told me it was a panic attack, gave me a valium and sent me into the night in my shorts and a hospital gown/smock/dress...poor bloke, i now think, wandering around Manchester, with palpitations giving way to heavy sedation, wearing a dress really. Plus when I did get back, demanding taxi money, the ambulance men had left a syringe, so everyone assumed I'd gone all Sid Vicous. Sixteen years later, I can almost laugh about it. Almost. Hang in there, it's horrible, but it's part of you...

Thanks everyone, really helpful to know what it was and now i can do more research to understand more. And Alex my story nearly matches yours in that I was also hundreds of miles away from home at uni in Manchester!, however they didn;t send me onto the streets of Manchester in the dead of night wearing a dress...