PDA

View Full Version : cbt on NHS or private?

sha_z
27-02-06, 19:57
Hi new here,
my daughter has just seen a crap therapist tonight via her crap new gp -she has only been in London for 3 months, who said that she couldnt be helped- and she cant get CBT on the nhs, made her cry. Her Uni GP was good and said she would really benefit. She is fed up being the way she is.
Can you get it on NHS? If not how much is it? Are there places in South London - where she lives?
Help......

jackie
27-02-06, 20:38
you can def get it on the nhs although depending on where you live there is usually a waiting list.

in belfast to pay is roughly 35 pound a session. i think your daughter should put her name on the nhs waiting list and find a suppot group in the area. the one i joined is for anxiety sufferers and it is a life line to me. tell her to search til she finds one or maybe find others who suffer and set her own small one up

i hope this is in some way helpful, if not i am sorry
jackie

Karen
27-02-06, 22:50
Hi Sha_z

CBT is available on the NHS although there is often a waiting list.

Perhaps your daughter could see a different doctor at her surgery if the one she saw wasn't sympathetic. Also print out a copy of the NICE guidelines - link here (http://www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=235402) to take with her which clearly point out that CBT is a treatment of choice.

Private therapy is another option if she can afford it. Some therapists have a sliding scale of charges depending on income.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Quirky
28-02-06, 11:55
Hi there,

Yes CBT is available on the NHS, although the wait is long in some areas.
I was turned down for it twice in my area for not being bad enough, but even if I was accepted the wait was 6-9 months. I had it privately in the end and it cost £94 a session.

Lisa