PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else fed up with feeling anxious?

SIMON31
31-08-10, 01:11
Hey guys!

I had a bad relaspe back in december 09 when we moved house, the agoraphobia, anxiety and panic attacks came back really bad, I'm to the point now that I'm happy on my own in the house again and are making progress getting back out in the car with my partner etc.

One of my therapists is trying to get me out with her walking into town and even though I really want to do it before hand and when I did do it, it was so so hard, she was tough and made me do it even though I wanted to turn back! I was pleased I did do it, I do know that if I do keep practicing these things it will get better but I'm to the point now that I'm fed up with feeling anxious!

It's like I know what I need to do, but when it comes to it the anxiety and panic feels so strong that I give up most of the time! Its like I want to get better but feel I'm not going to be able to because the anxiety is gonna win all the time!

I don't want to go on tablets and feel very stongly about that, but at the same time I don't think I have the strengh now or ever to get better without them! Again its the anxiety thing that worries me with the pills, why do I wanna take something that's gonna make me more anxious and maybe not even work!!!! I'm not sucidal or anything, I'm being quite sensible about it but it just fills me with dread the thought of living like this for ever!

Its like I think right I'm not gonna let this anxiety get the better of me and then I set about testing myself and it always wins!!

Anyone else feel like this!!

Yours confused
Simon :D

uk23
31-08-10, 02:57
I totally agree with you Simon. I feel the same about pills, they won't even prescribe any pills for short term relief, only long term ones witha billion side effects. I don't want to feel doped up all the time.

I have found a few otc things that work quite well, allow me to work and feel normal but without the medicated groggyness and mind blanking.

trish1955
01-09-10, 00:11
I totally agree with you Simon. I feel the same about pills, they won't even prescribe any pills for short term relief, only long term ones witha billion side effects. I don't want to feel doped up all the time.

I have found a few otc things that work quite well, allow me to work and feel normal but without the medicated groggyness and mind blanking.wat are the otc u get i dnt want meds with side effects i will try anything that helps lv trish

nomorepanic
01-09-10, 00:34
I have found a few otc things that work quite well, allow me to work and feel normal but without the medicated groggyness and mind blanking.

I hope you aren't going to suggest co-dydramol

ladybird64
01-09-10, 13:09
Hey guys!

I had a bad relaspe back in december 09 when we moved house, the agoraphobia, anxiety and panic attacks came back really bad, I'm to the point now that I'm happy on my own in the house again and are making progress getting back out in the car with my partner etc.

One of my therapists is trying to get me out with her walking into town and even though I really want to do it before hand and when I did do it, it was so so hard, she was tough and made me do it even though I wanted to turn back! I was pleased I did do it, I do know that if I do keep practicing these things it will get better but I'm to the point now that I'm fed up with feeling anxious!

It's like I know what I need to do, but when it comes to it the anxiety and panic feels so strong that I give up most of the time! Its like I want to get better but feel I'm not going to be able to because the anxiety is gonna win all the time!

I don't want to go on tablets and feel very stongly about that, but at the same time I don't think I have the strengh now or ever to get better without them! Again its the anxiety thing that worries me with the pills, why do I wanna take something that's gonna make me more anxious and maybe not even work!!!! I'm not sucidal or anything, I'm being quite sensible about it but it just fills me with dread the thought of living like this for ever!

Its like I think right I'm not gonna let this anxiety get the better of me and then I set about testing myself and it always wins!!

Anyone else feel like this!!

Yours confused
Simon :D

Hi Simon

I have had agoraphobia for a very long time, more than 20 years but I didn't actually realise I had it until about two years ago when I was playing "match the symptoms" on the internet..it was quite a revelation for me as I had been battling with this unknown "thing" for so long.

I had managed to raise a family and work two jobs but it was a hell of a struggle.

Since coming to the forum here, I have discovered lots of things and although it has taken a while, I am now empowered to the point that I do not have the same level of fear anymore and am looking forward to living a normal life.

I was actually started on Citalopram in March this year after being adamant that the way forward was not to be found in a pil bottle. I still hold that opinion but also believe that they can be very helpful in moving things forward (I had a severe depressive episode) if you are willing to give them a chance.

I know many people suffer from side-effects but I didn't. I am by no means "doped up" and never have been, if anything the opposite is true because I am now able to get out of the house and do much more "normal stuff" without having that terrible fear that I used to have.

What i would suggest is that if you decide to give medication a try, then also have a plan of action ready for yourself..it is pointless expecting a pill to eradicate all your anxiety..it won't happen.

You also need to be prepared that you may have some effects that aren't pleasant, are you willing to ride out the few weeks it takes for the medication to start working?

I do not fear any dependency on SSRI's and I am comtemplating if I should start to come off them shortly. I think with many of us it is the fear of the unknown that is scary, particularly when we feel so worn down by our thoughts and feelings.

Personally speaking, I would rather chance taking something that could lift my mood and give me some control back in my life rather than being ruled by anxiety and living a miserable existence.

Whatever you decide to do, remember that there are always options open to you. It's just getting your mind to believe that too!

Good luck :flowers:

uk23
01-09-10, 15:15
not going to suggest co-dydramol, don't worry - what I was going to suggest is diphenhydramine (Nytol). I know many people use it on here, even my GP said 'if it works, carry on taking it'.

adeelgr8
01-09-10, 15:50
Hey! I also have the same problem.Have been on lexapro and risperdal for 2 years but the side effects!!! oh my gosh

AIDIELOU
01-09-10, 20:23
Hi simon i have the samr problem as you panic agraphobia.i wont take pills either not for me at all.i would rather suffer the panic its not as bad as the side effects of the tablets and they say that you dont learn how to get through it if you mask it.the other week i was in the town centre with my partner feeling all panicy and shakey i needed the toilet so i had to go by myself i dont think people would have understood if i took him in lol.i sat on the toilet i thought what am i gunna do i cant bear ging any futher but then it just came to me i said to myself thats ok i will just let myself faint or die whatever i didnt care when i got out of the toilet i felt fine.it just shows that we can change are minds it just takes practice.im still struggling but youve got to bear with it. All the best.june