PDA

View Full Version : can you become "immune" to citalopram?

ellie_C_mason1990
31-08-10, 10:53
I had been taking citalopram for a month and everything was fine, I lost my tears and could slightly control my anxiety as the meds numbed my thoughts a bit..
but since 2 weeks ago it has all come back, crying, palpatations, misery, anxiety etc.
Can you become "immune" to it? If so should I ask doctor to change meds or just up my dosage? I am on 20mg

KATYB
31-08-10, 19:56
I know the feeling, I feel like i'm starting to slip back to the crying/misery etc x I wondered today if when I see the dr next week will she increse the dose? i'm on 20mg for now...

trooper
31-08-10, 22:12
Probably worth asking your GP that question, I'd be interested to hear their response?

KATYB
01-09-10, 19:41
I'm seeing my doc monday, will let you know what they say, although feeling somewhat better emotionally today, although slowly but surely filling up with a cold now! arghhh

suzy-sue
01-09-10, 21:47
Its quite common to go back a step or two once the dose has settled .It happened to me .I upped my dose and found I did stabilise .You will get the odd day when you dont feel so good .Everyone has off days .no one feels great 100% of the time .Not even people who dont have these problems with Anxiety &Depression ..Each dose will take 6-8 weeks for the full benefits .Give it a bit longer and see how you feel .Its also not unusual to feel worse when you have a cold or Flu .It will pass ,get plenty of sleep it will help ..Sue x

trooper
02-09-10, 12:49
The other thing to think about is that there are times when its appropriate to feel depressed or anxious.

Its good to pay attention to what is going on in your life or what your thoughts are too. If for example you're stressed at work its entirely appropriate that you might feel a bit more anxious, added to the potential blips, highs and low so your body reacting to the medication too.

It is in appropriate to be anxious and / or depressed all the time, and if it persists on the medication you must go back to your GP and discuss. Well worth reading through psycho poets guide at the top of this forum, he covers most of the angles in a lot of detail, god bless him. :)