PDA

View Full Version : Going for breast screening terrified

countrygirl
31-08-10, 11:34
My mother died of breast cancer and I am now 49 yrs old. About 8 yrs agi i had terrible car crash and got bad damage to right breast that took 9 months to heal up and told that the scars may cause problems with any future mammo's. spoke to my GP who enquired of nhs screening and told nothing else available other than mammo. GP said to look at what might be available privately. I have found private screening that combines mammo with breast infrared and its so good the nhs is thinking of adopting it as its 98% successful at detection rather than 89% of mammo alone.

I have been having tenderness on my side on and off for months which although not breast pain movement of the breast makes this area ache and most likely its muscular as I twice suffered severe muscle spasms on that side of my ribs and shoulder blade so Dr thinks its not breast related but suggested having the screening to reassure me.

I have an appt next week for a consultation with a breast surgeon and manual examination then a mammo and then a breast scan. I can at least explain to the surgeon about the scarring to my right breast and the fact I may not be able to tolerate a mammo due to nerve damage in that breast which is advantage of going private.

BUT I am terrified of the result - one part of me does not want any screening I don't want to know but other part is worrying constanty about the ache at side of breast so i really really can't win.

The thought of waiting for the result is agonising

countrygirl
31-08-10, 13:36
My appointment is now for Wednesday 15th for the tests and the 16th to see the professor breast surgeon and I get results by email and post -3-5 days later.

I am on holiday next week so am trying to forget about my screening appt and enjoy myself.

any tips on how to NOT freak out about this screening:scared11:

nomorepanic
31-08-10, 13:43
Just think of it this way - you cannot change anything so what will be will be so accept that and then the waiting becomes less anxious for you.

I am sure it will be fine though

Vixxy
31-08-10, 15:21
I would think about the end result. After youve had the screening that little nagging voice saying "it might be cancer" will be gone and you can move on.
Good luck with it!

countrygirl
31-08-10, 17:42
Thanks both - I agree with the what will be will be but the health anxiety brain wants to know NOW - you all know this feeling. I am having a hard time stopping the brain doing the what ifs but I do realise that I cannot change the outcome.

Am I one of the older members here as haven't read any posts from anyone else who was of mammogram age on here??

agingwuss
31-08-10, 18:17
I'm of mammogram age - I'm 52. I had a breast cancer scare in 2007 when I was 49. Luckily it turned out to be a benign phyllodes turmour but it was horrible until I found out.
I had a mammogram then & then had another on the NHS screen screening scheme in Dec 2008 - which was fine.
I had another about a month ago because I started having breast pain so I got referred to the clinic again [which started my HA back in spades!].
Luckily that mammogram turned out to be clear but I'm waiting for the result of a needle biopsy the consultant took - she says she's 99% sure all is well but wants to be 100%!
I can really understand how you feel. Until I got referred to the breast clinic again I'd decided to go private with another mammogram as I understand if you've had a phyllodes tumour you're more likely to get another and ought to have a mammogram every 18 months but guess what - the NHS don't do that! Frankly I'm going to pay for one myself every 18 months if I have to. I don't care what it costs; the peace of mind is worth it!
And I know how you feel about waiting for the results -hell on earth! The only things that work for me are going for fast walks & oddly enough Sudoku! Sudoku was recommended to me by some kind person on this site - and it works!

blueangel
01-09-10, 09:38
I'm of this age as well (:weep:) and went for my first screening recently, which was absolutely fine. For some reason, I knew it would be OK and I wasn't that worried about it, which is most unusual for me.

I think it might have been me that recommended the Sudoku - glad to hear it works for someone else as well! :D

agingwuss
02-09-10, 07:37
Well, if it was you who recommended the Sudoku - all I can say is thanks a trillion! You're a sanity saver! More hugs than I can say! :hugs:

blueangel
02-09-10, 09:53
Hurrah!

Glad it has helped someone. :D