PDA

View Full Version : One for the ladies - are your panic attacks worse before a period?

Baggie
31-08-10, 14:14
Hope I've posted in the right place!

Can anyone tell me if their feelings of panic / panic attacks become worse as they approach their period? I've had a hellish few days. Yesterday was pretty unbearable. I felt panicky in queues and quite rough when out at the supermarket last night. However, I feel better today as my period has now started.

Would love to hear what the other ladies on this forum have to say about this. Thanks.:)

joli
31-08-10, 14:34
Just wanted to say that i get a lot more worse in the few days before my period. I too have had a terrifying few days. I honestly feel like i am going to lose my mind and feel like i am going to forget who i am and everything around me. Have had terrible headaches and left sided weakness also but i think i need to sort out some decent vitamins, eat well and hope it gets better.

Vixxy
31-08-10, 15:25
My periods are a bit irregular now, but I must say the week I had my relapse I got my period at the end of it. And this month I found it really hard to relax (something ive been finding easier to do) this past few days and my anxiety was really high.In fact I was convinced I was heading for another relapse and then.... today I got my period.
I dont know if its related. Im trying to keep a track of it now.

fairyclairy
31-08-10, 17:53
This is something iv wondered about too.... i find that i an more anxious before my period starts!
My periods are very irregular - iv just been 3-4 months without a period and just had one last week.. but the days leading up to it starting were awful, i felt so ill... i panicked more, i had increased constand anxiety, felt very emotional etc... so yes, i think you're right.. hormones play a huge role in our lifes etc, so its bound to effect us emotionally and physically with anxiety x

Baggie
31-08-10, 18:54
Thanks for all of your replies girls and welcome to NMP, Joli.

I thought I was losing the plot a bit, especially yesterday! Didn't feel my usual self at all. I was saying to my hubby that I should have been a man instead - at least they don't have all of this hormone nonsense each month!! :wacko:

Vixxy - like you I'm keeping track of this. GP thinks I may be having an early menopause. Oh, the joys...

Vixxy
31-08-10, 19:04
Oh fudge! How old are you?

Ails:-)
31-08-10, 20:57
Hi :-)

I am new to this forum but glad I read this! I tend to start getting panic attacks one week before I am due, then whilst I am on my period and then the week after they have finished...so basically I get them for 3 weeks and get one week off!! I think my panic can definitely be hormone related and that is what worries me about getting pregnant again cause obviously you are hormonal all the way through that!

Has anyone else had any experience of getting horrendous panic attacks whilst pregnant?
xxx

caz1625
31-08-10, 21:02
I could always tell you when a period was due by how bad my panic attacks were. The only time I have been panic free in the last 25yrs was during both my pregnancies. I enjoyed every moment of it and was gutted when they returned after the births of my boys. I keep being told they could go once I have been through the menopause but at the moment I am going through hell because of the menopause. So I just can't win :D

Carol xx

Baggie
01-09-10, 10:02
Vixxy - I'm only 42 so I thought I'd have a few years to go until I started to feel the effects of the menopause! Having said that, my mum was about 45 when she started.

Ails - I was fine during both of my pregnancies. I only developed anxiety and panic 2 years ago. However, I think hormonal change may not be helping me!

Carol - Fully sympathise with you here. I think we are both in the same boat! :)

Thanks for all of your replies. xx

WFB
01-09-10, 11:15
Yes, absolutely certain am worse pre-period, in fact is one of the tell tale signs of PMT with me. And if you throw in a full moon at a similar time, I am pretty close to non-functional. I don't watch out for them but it's happened too many times to be coincidence. And for extra 'proof' that the lunar cycle can throw you out of whack I had a couple of days of what would have been written off as grim PMT last week, except for the fact that I am pregnant.

AIDIELOU
01-09-10, 14:14
GLAD TO SEE ITS NOT JUST MY IMAGINATION AND THAT LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE FEELING THAT THERE PANICS ARE WORSE WHEN THERE PERIODS ARE DUE.I HAVE HEADACHES AND FEEL WOBBLEY ON MY FEET WHICH MAKES ME PANIC.WHEN I WAS PREGAN T WITH MY SECOND CHILD I HAD JUST STARTED HAVING PANIC ATTACKS ALTHOUGH I DIDNT KNOW THATS WHAT THEY WERE {NEITHER DID THE DOCTOR:mad:}SO THINGS GOT REALLY BAD.WHEN I HAD THE BABY THINGS DID IMPROVE BUT WEATHER THATS BECOUSE I WAS TO BUSY OR HORMONE CHANGE IM NOT SURE.ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL:)