PDA

View Full Version : Coping Strategies

Reggie256
31-08-10, 17:47
I dont really have any coping strategies in place, so can you tell me when you know you are going to have to do that weekly shop in the town centre, or attend that all day course for work which is miles away, how do you mentally prepare yourself?

Its really just to get as many answers as possible to give me some idea where to start.

Vixxy
31-08-10, 18:18
Are you under pressure to do a big event or can you take it slowly and work up to it?
For me I started by going to the local supermarket each day, every day. The first day I went I was really anxious and gradually as i did it every day the anxiety dropped and dropped to a level where im able to browse.
Then I went further away. Within a month im now able to go into town and go into the big department stores.
I always take my ipod with cheerful music and a relaxation app. A notepad and pen to write down any thoughts i have that need to be CBT'd. Water and tictacs to get rid of the dry mouth.

nomorepanic
31-08-10, 18:18
Try these:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping/

Reggie256
31-08-10, 19:10
Are you under pressure to do a big event or can you take it slowly and work up to it?

Im getting married on saturday.......lol

Vixxy
31-08-10, 19:20
lol thats a biggie! I got married last year so I can understand your worries! In fact omg.... youre getting married the same day i did lol!
I can assure you that youre going to be so caught up with the stress of the day that you wont have time to have normal anxiety. Most people spend their wedding day stressed out, so noone will be expecting you to be normal lol.
good luck and congrats!

heavenly
31-08-10, 19:22
Im getting married on saturday.......lol

Oh is that all? :winks: Congrats hun! :hugs: Blimey, yes, let me think, I am a bit of a newbie with this, so if I was out and about and/or preparing myself for something, I would

Keep Rescue Remedy on me

Relaxation music on my Ipod

Keep a list on you of positive things I have done over the last few days, no matter how small, I keep looking at it, to show me how strong I am and how well I am doing.

Remember to slow my breathing down.

Have a lovely day hun! xxx

Reggie256
31-08-10, 19:40
@ nomorepanic thanks thay link is very helpful.

Yea, the only part that is worrying me is the 20 minutes I have to stand up in front of everyobne doing the vows!
Strangely im not too fussed about the speech, its just the tought of being at the alter, somewhere I know I have no where to run plus about 100 people all looking at me!

Reggie256
09-09-10, 14:39
Just to bump this thread, and let everyone know I had the best day ever!!
Was really streesed a few days before but strangely the night before, and on the day (after 2-3 pints though) I was fine!!
Usual nerves but nothing major, and speeches were fine, so all in all im well chuffed!

diane07
09-09-10, 14:41
Well done and congratulations

di x

Vixxy
09-09-10, 17:56
congrats!

olderfella
09-09-10, 18:02
Many congrats and well done

StoneMonkey
10-09-10, 00:37
Many Congradulations both on getting married and on not letting panic attacks hold you back :)
Glad it all went smooth for you.
Simon.

Has there ever been a NMP wedding anyone.