PDA

View Full Version : Fear of breast cancer is ruining my life

crazytrain
31-08-10, 19:53
I had no idea there was a place like this with others like me. Its a relief to be able to post here and perhaps be understood:weep:

My HA is ruining my life. Breast cancer is the one I fear most and have feared since I was old enough to know what it was, even before I had breasts:D. Even so, once I get reassurance that I don't have BC, I then get symptoms of something else.

Right now the BC fear is rearing its ugly head again. I "find" a new lump almost daily and then I spend hours prodding it. The other day I checked one spot so much that it made a red/bruised area, so then I thought I must have inflammatory breast cancer, even though I knew that I had caused the area.

I'm so tired of living in fear. My husband has lost all patients with me. I've neglected my kids at times so I could spend time checking lumps and looking for info on-line. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated:flowers:

Maj
31-08-10, 21:27
I feel for you. Sounds like this is actually an obsession. Fuelled by anxiety/depression. I assume you've spoken to your doctor about it? If we all poked and prodded for lumps and bumps we'd be sure to find something and sometimes if you poke and prod then you actually make any harmless lumps more obvious - we've all done it!! Also, the breasts are so lumpy at certain times of the month that it's impossible not to feel something. I think though that you need to speak to your doctor to get reassurance and also to get help with your anxiety. You are not alone so please don't despair. :hugs:

crazytrain
01-09-10, 04:13
Thank you for your reply I appreciate you. Yes I'm going to speak to a psychiatrist. My obgyn is sick of me. I bug him all the time:blush: Its good to know I'm not alone.