PDA

View Full Version : Statistics that Scare Me

busybeingmum
01-09-10, 10:07
My great phobia, like many of is HA sufferers is the big "C". I hate seeing ads for it, reading about it, anything. I know I am a bad person as those who actually have it are brave and amazing....
So, the statistic I hate is the Bupa one (and I think Cancer Research) - 1 in 3 of us will be affected by cancer. My husband says I am already affected as my lovely uncle died recently of the horrid disease. Can anyone throw light on this for me????

worriedmummy
01-09-10, 10:16
same here, xxxxxxxxxxxx

nomorepanic
01-09-10, 11:21
Remember that there is a difference between "affected" and "effected" so yes cancer can affect one in 3 of us but that does not mean 1 in 3 of us will be "effected" by it.

Hope that makes sense!

bronte
01-09-10, 16:46
im the same every advert and article sends my anxiety sky high im glad im not the only one its been worse since i lost my parents to cancer dad was 54 and we lost mum 2 years ago in october she was 68

Adam22
01-09-10, 17:00
I think you are all right that it is a horrible statisitc to look at and I guess its not the best one to dwell on when suffering from anxiety..

but you also need to consider the advancements in medication and treatment that are avalible at present and in place.

these are providing more postive statistics that show people now have better chance at full recovery if found early.

im pretty sure everyone on here is worried about the 'c' word and looking at those stats wont help at all and im sure people that read this thread may start to dwell on it

eventually they will find a cure.. and we all need to stay postitive .. we are all alert thinkers and any indication or symptom relating to this we are the first to question ourselves thus hopefully in the unlikely event of it happening to us we will be the first to be seen by a doc or nurse..

Stats can be damaging .. avoid them :wacko:

margaret jones
01-09-10, 17:35
Hi The big c was at one time the unspoken word and people who suffered from it had very little treatment offered to them Now the treatments for people suffering is very good and the recovery is also good , I work in a Hospice Day centre and lots of our Patients have had excellent results from thier treatments and that is a very positive thing .

We all have a fear of illness at some time in our lives and the C word is not a death sentence these days , so please try not to dwell on the C word and live your life as fully as you can .

Dont waste the next 20yr worrying about something that will probably not even happen Think in 20 yr you might then be saying Dam i wasted all those yrs worrying about something that never happened .

Well that was a bit of a long post sorry but just back from my Hospice vol job and saw your post

Take Care Maggie