PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure

daisycake
01-09-10, 19:35
Well my GP took it and from what I could tell, it was 140/90, is that bad? I'm on the pill hence she took it and she isn't worried and told me it was fine but I'm panicing, ESPECIALLY after I googled and it said 140/90 is high... But she even commented that it was surprisingly normal for someone at a doctor's surgery so am I maybe taking the figures wrongly?

daisycake
01-09-10, 19:38
I have a family history of heart disease too - my grandma has angina and my grandad has hypertension - should I be worried?

Adam22
01-09-10, 19:52
yeh had mine done today 137/87 .. doc not concerned..

its not that high.. prob anxiety kicking in when you were there.. thats what my doc tells me when im there.

dont worry :)

daisycake
01-09-10, 19:57
Yeah mine didn't seem concerned either, but I'm on the pill so I'm in a right flap. Do you know of anywhere else I can get it done? I'm seeing the hospital next week so will probably nag at her to do it just to calm me down.

sb001f8994
01-09-10, 20:39
Hi,
My blood pressure was 137/87 last time it was done and the nurse said as long as its 140/90 or below thats ok. If you were anxious getting your bp taken it could be lower as the anxiety would have rasied it a little. If your gp was fine with it then I wouldnt worry, they like to keep a check on blood pressure and Im sure if they were at all concerned they would have asked you to go back in a week or so to do it again. My hubby has blood pressure probs and has to go back on a regular basis to have it checked.
Take care,

alicegreen
01-09-10, 21:10
Hi Daisycake, blood pressure can often be raised with anxiety, like when we have to go for appointments ir tests etc.
Mine was 140/100 last time i wax at the hospital for an outpatient appt, and it worried me silly. Ive got a home monitoring set from lloyds pharmacy which was cheap and i keep an eye on it that way. It is never as high as that normally, usually its around 120/70 ish so it goes to show what anxiety can do!

Jaco45er
01-09-10, 21:16
Don't stress too much. Recently I have been reading that unless you have Kidney issues or Cardio issues, even a reading of up to 159/99 can prove to be low risk for most people.

What docs are after is readings that are high on waking, like moderate high (160/100 plus) and stay high all day.

You are at lower risk the lower the reading (135/85 or below is target, 120/80 optimal) but a reading above 140/90 is not in the danger xone.

That said, it's always worth monitoring your BP with your GP and try lifestyle changes to reduce your BP.

s11fyx
01-09-10, 21:33
its fine but if your worrying about it why not try and do some relaxtation cds everday as that will help to relax ypu which lowers the bloodpressure x

Ails:-)
01-09-10, 21:38
Hi :-)

Please dont worry yourself too much about your BP. That is perfectly normal!

I have had so many probs with my BP in the past and am only 26!! When I was pregnant it was 160/110!!

I get something called "White Coates Syndrome" when I go to the docs and know I am getting my BP taken. The doc has actually officially diagnosed me with it!! The doc actually had me have a 24 hour monitor done and that came back normal even though it was the biggest pain in the ass ever!!

Try not to worry about your BP. When I was on pill mine was normally around that also.
xxx

serendipity
02-09-10, 13:29
Mine was 139/91 last week and I spent a whole week worrying. I went to docs on Tuesday and its 128/78. My doctor said one high reading is nothing to worry about.

Seren