PDA

View Full Version : hypnotherapy

Gemzy
01-09-10, 21:53
has anyone ever had hypnotherapy for their phobia (emetophobia in particular). if so did it work?

Chem
01-09-10, 21:56
I have tried hypnotherapy but it did not work for me. I was asked to visualise going down steps and to a beach, which I could not relax enough to do. Perhaps talk through exactly what will be involved with the hypnotherapist before booking a session and make sure he/she is a registered practitioner.

Nigel H
03-09-10, 14:52
I would recommend NLP and/or Time Line Therapy for Phobia's ..... very effective.

allergyphobia
10-11-10, 10:54
hi nigel, what are the therapys you recommend? i have an allergy phobia (as my name would suggest!)

fairyclairy
17-01-11, 16:34
Hi,

I know this is an old (ish) thread but thought i would post anyway - iv started Hypnotherapy today for my panic attacks and anxieties and mainly for my emetophobia which is behind it all... iv come away feeling extreemly positive about this - today was mainly talking about my fears etc and we also tried some EFT which is emotional freedom techniques where you tap the main sense points on your body, i.e, head, collerbone, wrist, chin etc etc whilst thinking about a horrible situation you've experianced... for me, it was when my phobia first kicked off and i was sick on the first day of high school infront of all the yr 11s!

We then did some hypnotherapy... i didnt have to do anything, no visualisations etc.. just sat back in a big comfy recliner chair.. with headphones on so i could only hear her voice and some calming music and she spoke to me (or to my subconcious mind)
I felt extreemly relaxed - it wasnt scary at all, i was fully aware of what was going on, i could still hear the noises outside and could move if i wanted too etc (nothing like you see on the tele!!)

Iv come out feeling very positive and different.... i definitly feel different about vomit and my reactions to it and im hoping this is going to make a real difference.

I was recommended seeing this lady through a friend who had panic attacks for 10 years extreemly bad - 4 sessions later so no longer has them... has been on holiday, jus got married etc and has never looked back! xx

allergyphobia
17-01-11, 16:37
WOW thanks for sharing Fairy - will be extremely interested to follow your progress - glad it went so well, good luck!!! xxx

donnaanderson
18-01-11, 13:44
so glad hypno had agood response thinking of trying that as a last resort as everything else has failed just worried about the costs.:)

fairyclairy
18-01-11, 17:05
Yeh id defo recommend it - i had tried everything too donna, councelling, cbt, eft, facing it myself.. nothing worked so this is my last resort really but im really positive about this so if you can find the costs then go for it.... mine wasnt too bad £65 for initial session which should last 60-90 minutes but i was there 2 hours and then my following sessions are £60 for an hour but should only need 3-4 of those x

allergyphobia
18-01-11, 17:10
keep us posted please, fairy! x

fairyclairy
18-01-11, 18:02
Will do - il start a thread about it an keep u up to date with each session x

fairyclairy
18-01-11, 18:17
P.s, iv started my thread in the 'panic attacks' section and its just called Hynotherapy! if you wanted to keep up to date with how i get on x

Martin Burridge
22-01-11, 17:34
Specific phobias (fear of one thing or situation) respond well to hypnotherapy. On average about 3 sessions is enough for most people.
Naturally it will depend on how both the client and the therapist approach the therapy.
Longer term and more complicated anxiety disorders like panic disorder/agoraphobia are better treated with CBT or combined CBT/hypnotherapy.

donnaanderson
23-01-11, 11:56
on tenth cbt session and has not helped thinking of hypnotherapy trying to find one that comes recomended also worried about the cost

Martin Burridge
05-02-11, 13:38
You can find a hypnotherapist in your area on the General Hypnotherapy Register who are one of several governing bodies for Hypnotherapy in the UK

http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/